Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: buying a used quad...

Re: buying a used quad...

I've owned 2 Polaris machines a 2001 500HO and a 2012 550 EPS, I have had minimal problems with them and use them almost exclusively for hunting. I find they are priced lower than the ones most guys promote. That being said the Yamaha Grizzly is a nice machine too.

If you are looking at used, get one with low mileage, power steering, decent tires [upgraded from stock makes a big difference], a winch on the front [front and back is a plus] and generally look it over good for evidence of hard riding [cracked frames, big dents, broken plastic].

Honda has a hydraulics instead of a continuous variable belt drive. They all have gears. If you smoke a belt, you can change it in camp. Ski-Do (the same company that makes Can-Am) has been running belts since the '50s. It not unproven. Just don't be afraid of that technology. If you get a used machine with a belt, you should change it anyway.

Power steering is very worth while, but you'll not likely find a used machine with it. Metal racks are good. A good winch is a necessity . It not for pulling yourself out of a mud hole so much as climbing hills. It's not a big deal going down steep hills,but going back up, a back flip can kill you. So you winch out.

We all hit on Poohs but I was talking with a fellow hunter and he was riding one. He had bought it used, it was cherry. It was a model before Polaris cheapened that model. He explained it all to me. He seemed to know what he was talking about.

​No belts on a Honda. Foot shift is gears.

I use ATVs for my living in oil field surveying in northern alberta, we use and abuse atvs to the highest extent. Some great advice here already given. I run yamaha grizzly’s myself cause I want the power and payload. We pull over weighted trailers in and out of our hunting spots every year. If I am alone and without a trailer, which is often I can get a bull elk out with all my hunting gear in one oversized load. That why I use the big atvs.
    I have run a few grizzlys to near 20000k and when sold they ran fine still, no major repairs. I still have my first kodiak I ever bought in 2001 and its still going strong. It plowed snow, skidded moose and pulled dead vehicles. There is no issues with yamaha belts. The worst thing that can happen is the belt cooling duct can pop out of the transmission and water gets in and you have to drain it or it will slip a bit. This is very rare and wont strand you. Never had that on any of the bigger grizzlies.

If you’re in mud all the time atvs are hard on brake pads especially on the rear, atvs with the rear wet brake wont have this issue. Oil and filter change once a year along with the air filter is all you need to keep the motor strong and never let any seal or hose that holds oil or coolant go ignored or you will have premature engine damage.

I have bought used and new but obviously prefer new as I use them so much. For what you get out of them and the they still bring real cash money when your done with them I think atvs provide good value.

Most the folks in surveying run hondas or yamaha but a few run can ams and polaris. The later 2 can have belt issues if you don’t run them in low range for all but FSR or O&G road cruising. The can am seems to have more over heating issues, For how much money they are I wouldnt own one but they do ride and perform very nice.

You will have less issues over all with the simplest of all designs which is the honda but they are a bit of a slug and a lumber wagon and a bit tippy in the deactivated ditches or creeks and the rear solid axle does not Oscillate, thus moving the entire machine to a more unstable position in extreme terrain. Also less traction if all tires do not travel with the lay or the land.

Atvs are a game changer of big game retrieval, I would not be without. Mine haul at least 3 or more big animals a year and haul me into the middle of nowhere on my days off to keep tabs on all my hunting areas.

Note, unless its windy the animals hear you miles away so lost of boots on the ground is still required to be successful even when you have a nice atv to help.

5000 k is nothing if its been looked after. Look close and listen to it run, take it for a rip. Inspect the frame, they can crack and old ones that never get cleaned can rust out. Thats a deal breaker. You can get a crack welded but best to avoid if possible.

I have heard a few good things about Suzuki but have no personal experience.
    Last edited by Husky7mm; 06-29-2022 at 09:36 AM.
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!

I was in the market for a new quad back in 2013 and wanted a Yamaha, but after comparing prices bought a new polaris sportsman 500 for 3k less than a Yamaha. I only used it for hunting and some scouting and had no issues and sold it for 5k 4 years later to buy a new machine. Id definitely buy a new polaris before i bought a used machine that I couldn’t be sure of how it was treated/abused

I don't own a quad but when we were insuring our boat, The guy next to us was insuring his quad. I just about dropped a turd when I over heard the quote.

I have 2 Polaris Sportsman’s.
    2007 500 HO, had to put on a new winch due to a broken gear, new tires (both this year) and fuel gauge doesn’t work anymore. This one is used to plow.
    2020 Touring 850 Premium, have had no issues at all.
    Both have regular service done and that’s it.
    BCWF
    CCFR
    CSSA

Public hanging need to be brought back, starting with the biggest criminals in this country, the politicians.

My 2017 Grizzly 700 has 5500kms on it now and never had a single issue. I’ll never buy anything but a Yamaha.

hmm ford or ram...
    3 ATVS..sold 2 of them and both are still running both buyers were and still thrilled with the purchase..i have my ATV serviced at Honda every year.all have Honda service records.and the dealer has always made himself available regarding the units I was selling.Honda is simple..simply bulletproof..I have towed every make out of mud no one has had to tow me/Honda out in 25 years 500cc is perfectly adequete..independent rear axle makes it smoother more stable..automatic is nice as is ability to manually shift..Hondas weakness is headlights are yellow/dim so I added a RIGID LED bar..put in professionally by fabricator/electricaL ENGINEER..
    Warn makes a high end winch
    check handle grips high use units have worn grips.units that are babied..show that care..having that service record is important IMO
    CHECK AXLE BOOTS..air box..dirt mud in there ? or pristine...shit riding for 40 hours does more harm than 200 kms on trail
    i wont need another unit however it WOULD be a HONDA 500 Rubicon
    pretty easy to see a shit abused ATV you can wash dirt off but not abuse..
    cheers
    srupp

WOW,

some great info here guys and thank you so much for taking the time to share. No matter where I turn, it seems like for dependability you can't top either a yami or a honda (which sort of goes without saying). I am sure the NA brands are great too but the stories of guys with 15-20yr old yamahas really makes me steer in that direction.

Next question:
    How do you go about choosing between lets say a 450 vs a 700? The Kodiak's have the same towing capacity... anyone have experience with both?

I am not going to be using it to rip around trails and popping wheelies but I do want the option to tow in a trailer with a moose camp... is the 450 up for it?