Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: buying a used quad...

Re: buying a used quad...

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    As many have said. Honda for old school tech and reliability or yamaha for modern tech and reliability.. Polaris =garbage
    I've hear this type of comment a lot regarding Hondas. What is the definition of old school vs modern tech? Injected? Diff lock? Independent rear suspension? EPS?
    I've owned Kawasaki (1998 400), Yamaha (2005 450 and a 2010 grizzly 700) and Honda (2016 (Rubicon 500) ATV's. All three brands are/were fantastic quads that never let me down. The Grizzly and the Rubicon are both injected, have EPS, IRS, and diff lock.
    Other than gears vs belt drive, what makes the Honda "old school"? Is it that they still offer straight rear axles on some machines?

Congrats on your purchase Andrewh, you'll get many years use out of that machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewh View Post
    Deposit dropped on Kodiak 450 SE!!!!

Supposed to show up in next 3 weeks...
    A fine choice, if it comes with a winch( I wouldnt run one without one) make sure its a WARN winch. Some years they offer the super winch and it is junk. The cable will rust ( and eventually break) and often the in out button gets stuck. Junk. Pay the extra if its not included and get the Warn. Also since you went with the 450 if you want better than factory rubber do not up grade the size, just the grip. Every inch will steal power and fuel economy from you. Nothing wrong with wearing out the factory rubber first. You will be shocked where that thing will take you.

Happy hunting Andrew.
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    Also since you went with the 450 if you want better than factory rubber do not up grade the size, just the grip. Every inch will steal power and fuel economy from you. Nothing wrong with wearing out the factory rubber first. You will be shocked where that thing will take you.

As mentioned above, a taller tire will rob power. I have two identical 450 Honda Foreman quads. One is bone stock, the other with taller/wider/heavier rubber. The stocker is like a sports car compared to the hunting rig. Run out the factory rubber first. It's not as bad as some folks say it is.
    Have fun, and congratulations !

Smart move, you wont regret it, I ave 2 of the 450's in my shop, 2 500's and a 700, all great bikes but the newer 450 is my favorite by far

Honda an yamaha for sure are the top choice.
    you wanna look for missing hardware on the machine
    no fluid leaks
    knowing the official service history is a good idea, last time belts or u joints were serviced or replaced,
    i find a good few basic indicators will tell you more then you need to know when buying a used machine is check the coolant condition an brakes
    if the basic user doesn't keep on top of those two maintenance items i normally walk away pretty fast.

I've got both a polaris sportsman 450 HO 2012, and a 2016 midsize Polaris Ranger 570 EPS side by side. (I don't need big power or speed for hunting).

Both were bought new and both have been and are excellent machines...although I"ve owned the quad 4 years longer than the Side by side, the SXS has close to 3 times the mileage on it ( close to 14,000KMs).

I've packed many moose on both machines but IMHO you just can't beat the comfort and load ability of the SXS as compared to the quad

If you're buying used, be very cautious of buying from some hotshot under the age of 30...could be rode hard and put away wet!

Have owned Honda Quads since '86.
    Have never owned or rode in a side x side . . . it seems that the s x s folks are covered in mud and dust more-so than quad riders. Mud on rifles & gear?

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Have owned Honda Quads since '86.
    Have never owned or rode in a side x side . . . it seems that the s x s folks are covered in mud and dust more-so than quad riders. Mud on rifles & gear?

Cab system

warniklz - Your MAILBOX is Full ! RJ

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    warniklz - Your MAILBOX is Full ! RJ
    cleared out