Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: buying a used quad...

Re: buying a used quad...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewh View Post
    Well I am really considering taking the plunge and putting a quad in the garage. I am not a rec trail rider by any stretch and the primary use would be for hunting. I ended up with a moose draw so I figure now is as good of time as any.

What are you guys looking out for when buying a used quad maybe a few years old? I am primary looking at a Honda or a Polaris in their respective 500cc range.

What is considered 'high mileage' on one of these machines?
    As many have said. Honda for old school tech and reliability or yamaha for modern tech and reliability. Buy new if you can. Front diff lock is a must for my style of hunting with a pull start. A winch kills a battery fast when you've rolled your machine. The others are garbage. I've owned them all. I still have a polaris because I got it ridiculously cheap for a reason. Polaris =garbage
    Hunting the promised land

$10,200 and that includes factory winch.

then PDI, freight, tax...
    When I bought my 2013 Yamaha (brand new) from the Vernon dealer the quad came with a factory rebate and a free winch. I had to remind the dealer of the rebate and when they sent me the final price is was about $500 more then I expected. I asked for a breakdown of the pricing and found out I was charged about $110 for a mounting plate for the winch and another $300 or so for installation. I told them I didn’t want the winch installed as I was giving it to a friend. They said they would correct the pricing. They send me another invoice and it still does not add up to my price spreadsheet. I find out they are now wanting about $200 to remove the winch. I told them I’m not paying for something I did not want on the machine anyway. I told them I would walk if they were charging me the winch removal. They decided to remove it and we deal on the price I originally thought. When I pickup the machine and bring it home I go to mount the winch I had at home and I can tell right away the winch they had was never installed as there was thick paint (from the factory)in the holes where the mounting plate is supposed to go on the quad.

Not sure if it was just this dealer or it’s a trick by all of them to get extra bucks out of you. Just something to think about with a free winch.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    I Do a LOT of Quad riding and into a lot of TOUGH Going country ! I Ride a 16 Polaris Sportsman 570 EPS SE with 26 “ tires - it works Very Well and gets excellent Fuel mileage ! My Buddy I ride mostly with has a 19 Can Am EPS Outlander 650 with 26 “ tires -it also works well and gets good fuel Mileage . My son rides a 2013 Polaris Sportsman 800 with 27 “ tires It also works well BUT gets HORRIBLE fuel mileage - half what I get ! I Going to 27 “ tires too SOON ! Good Ground clearance is critical to a quads performance. RJ
    The bigger they get the worse the mileage, my Polaris 2008 500efi with the stock 26” rubber and gives decent mileage. Unless you’re putting mud flogers on your quad going 26 to 27 is only a 1/2 more clearance. Funny most of the guys I know who have the big bad mud chuckers never go places that need it.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    The bigger they get the worse the mileage, my Polaris 2008 500efi with the stock 26” rubber and gives decent mileage. Unless you’re putting mud flogers on your quad going 26 to 27 is only a 1/2 more clearance. Funny most of the guys I know who have the big bad mud chuckers never go places that need it.
    I need new tires soon SO I will go up to 27 “ but not mud chuckers as you call them ! Your reply is completely Bla Bla Bla ! RJ
    Last edited by REMINGTON JIM; 07-30-2022 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Honda has gears.
    Others are belt drives.
    As smith says: Calculate the average speed.
    Pushing a snowplow . . not good.
    One of my Honda 450's has 11,800 km . . . never skipped a beat.

The belt problem you mention is an old myth, I have plowed snow up here in the Cariboo region for 13 years straight using the same 450 Kodiak, never an issue and it will push way more wet snow than you would think. It amazes me at the power and traction it as when plowing. I still use this bike when hunting. Exellent bikes, never slipped a belt and never changed a belt, 5000 kms on it and going strong, same with my 700 Grizzly. BTW, Hondas have come into the 21st century now, they run a belt as well on almost all models except the straight axle antique they still offer to old guys that believe the gears are better, I winch those bikes out of holes every fall due to a lack of ground clearance under them
    Last edited by .330 Dakota; 07-31-2022 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by .330 Dakota View Post
    The belt problem you mention is an old myth, I have plowed snow up here in the Cariboo region for 13 years straight using the same 450 Kodiak, never an issue and it will push way more wet snow than you would think. It amazes me at the power and traction it as when plowing. I still use this bike when hunting. Exellent bikes, never slipped a belt and never changed a belt, 5000 kms on it and going strong, same with my 700 Grizzly. BTW, Hondas have come into the 21st century now, they run a belt as well on almost all models except the straight axle antique they still offer to old guys that believe the gears are better, I winch those bikes out of holes every fall due to a lack of ground clearance under them

^^This !!
    My '05 Kawasaki BruteForce 750 has a 9ft snowplow, massive snow amounts have been pushed with it, still the same belt that was on it when i bought it in 2017.

Deposit dropped on Kodiak 450 SE!!!!

Supposed to show up in next 3 weeks...

Congrats ! Now you have to think about equipping it. You need a lid you can use while hunting. I bought mine at Can Tire.

Deposit dropped on Kodiak 450 SE!!!!

Supposed to show up in next 3 weeks...

good choice!

I had followed this thread closely (I own a 2013 Kodiak 450 diff lock, carborated). I only use it about 2 days a year, mostly bear hunting and it's it great condition. Low milelage and garage stored. I nearly contacted you as I debated offering it for sale as it appears the used market is crazy and I could of gotten a good return for it.

But a good/reliable Quad is one of those things that is awesome to have, even if not used often.

For what used machines are going for and unless you know the seller and the history of the machine, you have no guarantee if it was abused or not.

I think you made the right decision to buy new. You'll still be enjoying that machine in a decade from now

Good choice , but yer not outta the woods yet .. start shopping for some hand warmers , rack extensions and after the warranty look at the Rotella T6 to run in er.
    Get a shop manual for it ... like everything else maintain er and keep her clean.... will last for a long time ... : )