Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: buying a used quad...

Re: buying a used quad...

Lots of good info here thanks
    I like the comments about steel racks instead of plastic skins and the plus of a pull cord
    except having tried the pull on a 500 I doubt it is usable for most riders.

have experience with a few Polaris machines , all newer EFI types , and all of them have had melted plastics from a very hot exhaust system
    Right side knee area on all had major heat issues, dealer warned against using exhaust wrap
    I know these have to run lean to meet emissions but why not a better air flow design

are all makes susceptible to melting
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

​Did you find a suitable machine?

HHH~the right side on my Polaris does throw a lot of heat, I had a little plastic melting right under the back of the seat on the right side, I wrapped the exhaust with a split bean can and some hay wire.

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    ​Did you find a suitable machine?

NOPE!!!

still looking and having a hell of a time trying to track one down. Narrowed it down to a Yami kodiak 450 or a rubicon.

Want the SE version of the Kodiak as it has a front locker or the 'camo EPS' kodiak as it also has a front locker. Lots of dealers advertise but I have yet to find one in stock. GA Checkpoint has a nice one but they are $600 over MSRP (listed on Yami) and charging damn near 1800 PDI/freight... When I asked if there was room to negotiate the guy basically told me to pound sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewh View Post
    Want the SE version of the Kodiak as it has a front locker or the 'camo EPS' kodiak as it also has a front locker.
    Did they start putting the front locker in the 450 Yamaha again? I had a 400 Yamaha Big Bear Professional for a few years then bought a new Kodiak 450 for my wife in 2007. Eventually sold the Big Bear, even though it was a great utility machine. I used the 450 for everything, including in deep hunting trips with trailers, until 2019. Then I decided I wanted power steering so went to buy a new 450 Kodiak. To my surprise when they started selling the 450 again they left off the front diff-lock. The price point was closer to the Honda by doing that. No diff-lock was a deal breaker for me!

I looked at quite a few machines (only Yamahas) before finding one that checked all my boxes. 2012, 700 Grizzly with all the options and accessories that I would install myself. Starting in 2015, the 700 used a Subaru (I think) engine instead of the tried and true Yamaha and there were problems so those were out to.

Overall the 450 was a great machine and did everything I asked of it and I would have bought another one. But the 700 has tons of power and is nice to ride.

I don't abuse machinery and routine maintenance should be just that; routine. Hose it off, check your axle boots regularly. Change your engine and diff fluids at the end of the season. Buy an outboard leg oil fill pump for your diffs and you can simply pump the oil in instead of trying to use funnels and hoses. Clean your air filter.

No offense to the others , but the Yamaha is a superior machine by way of reliability, usability and functionality. Hondas are good, but they have some dumb functions.

If you can get by without power steering, the older 450 Kodiaks are a good option. Often they were not used as hard as the bigger performance machines. "Putters" bought them. Check Alberta. If it has a snorkel or the rad has been remounted high up, keep looking. Look for water/mud lines up high where it's hard to get a hose to clean it. Yamaha has the best sealed wiring, but even they will creep water in if submerged enough times. Takes a year or so for the electrics to start acting up.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

My hunting partner bought a Yami new last year, it was the last one available. I think in the province. He had a choice of white or white. I call it the Snow Leopard . If you are buying used look for cherry, no matter the brand, and pay the premium willingly. New, order in your choice, you should get it next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambush View Post
    Did they start putting the front locker in the 450 Yamaha again?
    Three models sort of...

1. kodiak 450 (non-EPS, no locker)
    2. kodiak 450 EPS (regular colors have no front locker, camo version has front locker)
    3. kodiak 450 EPS SE (front locker and winch)

What’s the price of a Kodak 450 EPS SE ? RJ

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    What’s the price of a Kodak 450 EPS SE ? RJ
    $10,200 and that includes factory winch.

then PDI, freight, tax...

I Do a LOT of Quad riding and into a lot of TOUGH Going country ! I Ride a 16 Polaris Sportsman 570 EPS SE with 26 “ tires - it works Very Well and gets excellent Fuel mileage ! My Buddy I ride mostly with has a 19 Can Am EPS Outlander 650 with 26 “ tires -it also works well and gets good fuel Mileage . My son rides a 2013 Polaris Sportsman 800 with 27 “ tires It also works well BUT gets HORRIBLE fuel mileage - half what I get ! I Going to 27 “ tires too SOON ! Good Ground clearance is critical to a quads performance. RJ