Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: buying a used quad...

buying a used quad...

Well I am really considering taking the plunge and putting a quad in the garage. I am not a rec trail rider by any stretch and the primary use would be for hunting. I ended up with a moose draw so I figure now is as good of time as any.

What are you guys looking out for when buying a used quad maybe a few years old? I am primary looking at a Honda or a Polaris in their respective 500cc range.

What is considered 'high mileage' on one of these machines?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: buying a used quad...

I can’t help with a lot of your questions but for my 2020 moose draw I bought a 2020 Polaris sportsman 570 premium and I absolutely love it, not a single regret.. over 4500km on it but I use it for recreational riding and mushroom picking in addition to hunting and ice fishing with it.

For a “low” cc quad it tops out at 113km/hour and it hasn’t let me down yet.

Don't limit yourself to just those two brands. Yamaha, Can-Am , Kawasaki, and Suzuki all have make good quads.

I tried out Suzuki last time I was quad shopping simply because I found a decent deal. Next time around I'll be shopping for the same brand. King Quads are excellent. Yamaha and Honda are too though.

I bought a 2020 Honda Rubicon with electric power steering and foot shift two years ago and couldn't be happier.

When looking used, I was considering anything over 5,000km high mileage. But more than that, I was looking at the condition of the quad and the seller. As much as people say don't judge a book by it's cover, I did, and at the time that lead me to buying new. I felt I could just tell some owners abused their quads and then were selling them after a quick wash, and it had nothing to do with mileage.

My two tips:
    1) Buy from an owner that seems have kept good condition of his quad, his truck, etc...
    2) Calculate the average speed. Mileage/hrs. If it's much over 30-40km/h it has been used for recreation or long FSR commutes.
    If it's really low, a farmer was towing a lot and likely using it on cold engines.

Honda and Yamaha are still the most reliable, and in that order.
    It will take several more years (or a decade) to really argue any other brand can join that club.
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.

Buy once cry once, Honda or Yamaha.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

So, I had done a ton of research before I bought 4 brand new ones in 2008. After talking with parts managers at several dealers of diferent brands, and a friend that owns a forestry company that has a fleet of 45 quads,,I completely eliminated Polaris from my choices. Can Amm is great but epensive,,,Honda was great but a bit behind the times,
    Bought Yamaha's and ave never regretted it. The 450 Kodiak is one of if not te most reliable machine on the market.
    I run a 700 Grizzly, and to be quite honest, it wont do much that the 450 wont. If I was to buy another one, it would be a 450 Kodiak.

Honda has gears.
    Others are belt drives.
    As smith says: Calculate the average speed.
    Pushing a snowplow . . not good.
    One of my Honda 450's has 11,800 km . . . never skipped a beat.

Go in to your local dealers and just some questions to their parts and service department, then buy based on who you feel comfortable with.

Would suck to buy something and then have to drive 2.5 hours just to get something done that can only be done at a dealership in the next town.

And yeah, stay away from plow machines, farm machines and snorkled machines...
    Last edited by warnniklz; 06-29-2022 at 07:57 AM.

I love my Suzuki's. I still have my original 1997 300 King quad and at 14k it still is running strong. I have another newer and with super low and all wheel lockers it has pulled out some heavy bulls. Over power is unnecessary and fuel consumption really has to be considered.