Thread: Lund Tyee

Lund Tyee

Hey everyone,

Just wondering what kind of water the Lund Tyee 1975 is designed for. I’m looking for a boat that can safely be out in lakes like Williston and go up Quesnel lake where there is no escape from the weather.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Lund Tyee

it's meant to be a big water boat, more freeboard and deeper cockpit, some of the models are cross over for fishing/sport & family fun...they are more designed for trolling and jigging, don't have has big of a bow deck for casting...riveted hull, lund's I beam and double plated bottom hull

I've been in a few on the great lakes, they handle those rough conditions well, imo I'd feel completely safe in one on williston, but might still need to get off early if nasty weather is rolling in.....they still aren't in the same class as the 20'+ kingfishers with cabin enclosures, see a lot of those big beasts on williston

I have a 1997 lund pro angler 17 footer, I can see my next boat being one of the tyee's, very nice boats
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Thanks for the input BR.

hmm Quesnel lk can turn nasty then deadly in an instant..wind rips down north arm..junction...brrrr
    seen 1 boat 17 plus feet..on the sonar in 70 feet of water..
    there are times when no boat is safe on Quesnel lk..not familliar with Willisten
    nice sounding boat
    cheers
    steven

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    hmm Quesnel lk can turn nasty then deadly in an instant..wind rips down north arm..junction...brrrr
    seen 1 boat 17 plus feet..on the sonar in 70 feet of water..
    there are times when no boat is safe on Quesnel lk..not familliar with Willisten
    nice sounding boat
    cheers
    steven
    Hmm, I have only been there once and I do know that people go up the North Arm but have been told there isn't anywhere to escape to if you are out there when a storm comes up. So I assumed there must be boats that are practical to own that can handle the weather there. I'd love to be able to go up to the top to fish. Heard it's the best up there where the creeks come in.

I would assume Williston isn't a whole lot different than Quesnel Lake. It has long narrow arms in the mountains that pick up storms quickly. Only difference might be that it doesn't have the constant cliffs the whole way like Quesnel lake does. Although I haven't been too far on it in my 12.5' inflatable... I stuck to the bays very close to where I am camping so that I don't have to go out in the big arms.
    Last edited by eaglesj; 07-07-2022 at 04:58 PM.

From Mitchell Bay to Plato island took 20 minutes one morning and 3 hours to get back in the afternoon on Quesnel lake. I have an enclosed 16' Starcraft aluminum boat with a 60hp Mercury outboard. The chop was 3' easily.
    Williston lake isn't much different when the wind picks up.
    If you buy the Lund have a vinyl closure installed on the open bow.
    Small boats don't go far from the launch on those lakes.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

hmmm IMO east arm is more difficult to get off the lake..north arm blows up FAST...starts as a small pencil line on horizen..next moment all hell breaks loose...
    couple great guys on this site have cabins on Quesnel lake and fish often..
    I prefer the junction up the North arm..up to the roaring..salmon lay eggs in the lake..it IS the largest salmon hatchery in existence all around the lake..the creeks /rivers toss salmon eggs up and out into the lake and into waiting trout mouths...rainbows not too deep..lakers 70 feet..
    APEX lures work well..they need slightly faster trolling speeds..
    be well
    stay safe
    tight lines
    Srupp