Thread: Moose roast on the pellet grill

Moose roast on the pellet grill

Hey has anyone smoked a moose roast on their traeger/pitboss before? Have any good recipes/methods to share? My neighbour gave me an outside round from last years moose and I was thinking of smoking it but am nervous about drying it out as moose is pretty lean.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Moose roast on the pellet grill

Can't help with the smoking question as I don't have a smoker but you're definitely correct in that moose is lean. I like to put my moose & elk roasts on bbq rotisserie. Mine has an indirect back burner so there are no flare ups. A tray underneath to catch any drippings, one can also pour some liquid in the tray, wine for example. Make a basting concoction to your liking & baste regularly so it doesn't dry out.

A moose roast is a fine candidate to make a German Sauerbraten. I did that with my last one. The roast is completely covered in a wine, vinegar, onion, herbs, spices solution & kept covered in the fridge for up to a week. Turn it daily. Then it's seared on all sides in oil or fat & simmered in marinade/gravy until done. Super tender & moist.

Here's an elk roast on the barby last year, note the burner at the back. With the lid down the temperature gets up to a nice roasting level.

Moose roast in the sauerbraten marinade after a week in the fridge. Ready to sear/brown the outside in a cast iron pot. IIRC the solution is cooked a bit to soften the onions, spices etc before putting the roast in. Let it cool before putting meat in. If you search sauerbraten you'll find some variations. Add whatever you want really, but the base is red wine & red wine vinegar.

Moose roast out of the marinade.

Bon appetit. The gravy is made from the marinade + drippings + thickening agent. German dumplings & red cabbage cooked with red wine....

Here's a pretty good recipe...
    https://www.daringgourmet.com/authen...n-sauerbraten/
    Last edited by mike31154; 08-15-2022 at 12:07 PM.

Those pictures got me salivating like a dog looking in a butcher shop window. The best way we found to cook moose roast is several layers of good bacon. We do roasts and pork loin the same way Chipotle sauce lair of bacon more sauce more bacon more sauce.
    Last edited by MRP; 08-15-2022 at 01:25 PM.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Similar story to Mike. Marinade for 8 hrs to overnight then throw on the bbq rotisserie. I use the main burners, bbq @ 350-400 on the hood gauge I use a meat thermometer and pull the roast when it is just a C hair past rare. Wrap it n foil for 10 minutes or so and carve. You can get away with medium rare, but I wouldn’t wrap it. If you go to medium I find it overcooked and dry. Sorry, no smoker recipes, but if you used a thermometer you’d probably be ok.

elk

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Those pictures got me salivating like a dog looking in a butcher shop window. The best way we found to cook moose roast is several layers of good bacon. We do roasts and pork loin the same way Chipotle sauce lair of bacon more sauce more bacon more sauce.
    Bacon.... eh? mmmm bacon.... Reminds me of another good German recipe, Ja mein Freund....?? Falscher Hase.... basically a meat loaf stuffed with cheese, chopped onions.... chopped tomatoes.... I did that a few times with ground moose.... oh boy, heart stopper hehe Ach Du Lieber.....!

Just gotta watch the drippings, the smoke alarm went off a few times....

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=298253817477884
    Last edited by mike31154; 08-15-2022 at 09:09 PM.

Good points here for keeping it moist. Remember there is lack of fat, olive oil. Garlic and Onion POWDER.
    If you don't have a smoker, liquid hickory smoke (at your local grocery or store) Ztip-lock bag over night in the fridge.

Searing it on all sides first in a pan with butter if you can. then into a covered roaster for 15 min's per pound.

I’ve cooked a bunch of wild meat on the smoker…..sorry can’t up load pics. I like to pull everything off the smoker at 130 - 140deg then let it rest for a few min. Any hotter than that and I find it gets dry.