Thread: LEH Goat 5001/ MU2 A Mount Meager

LEH Goat 5001/ MU2 A Mount Meager

Hi everybody,

I know there are some old threads about this topic, but has anyone some insights about MtMeager? I was fortunate to get a goat LEH permit for 2-11, region a. The access looks quite tricky though. How would you guys access the region? Any general facts that are good to know about the area? I know it’s a grizzly abundant area with significant access limitations.
    thanks a lot for any tips!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: LEH Goat 5001/ MU2 A Mount Meager

Hi all, one more try, is there somebody who would be willing to share some wisdom/ experiences about this LEH region? Or are there maybe some more successful LEH candidates of 2-11 a, open to connect?
    happy to share what I was able to find out so far!
    thanks in advance

Since access has been taken away over 10 years ago, I think this draw has fallen out of favor with a lot of hunters. Last I heard people were coming up the road that takes you to meager creek hot springs and then rafting across meager creek. It fans out there quite wide and depending on water level may involve several short portages and crossings.

I also heard that the road that takes you to the meager creek hotsprings trailhead has been gated here and there which could potentially make it a 20km bicycle ride in addition.

Then when you're across its an all day hike uphill or more.

That said if you make it up you will likely do VERY well. Not trying to discourage you just passing along what I've heard before you make the long drive up lol.

Have you looked at the harvest statistics for years after the slide? I'll try and take a look tomorrow, but I'd be shocked if more than a couple of goats have been taken out of there in 10 years.

I heard the same thing. Don't know it for fact myself, but a buddy told me that it's gated about 7 clicks from the springs and you have to hike or bike in the rest of the way to the hot springs. Good luck.

Lillooet South FSR 7977

• April 1 - June 15 and September 16 - November 30 annually: motor vehicle prohibition at 2km. (Wildlife Act, section 111)
    • Gate at ~24km (Perkins Creek) is closed year round to all public access, for public safety reasons and to minimize negative environmental impacts from unauthorized use at Meager Hotsprings. See public closure notice. 24km is the end of the public FSR
    • Meager Creek Hotsprings Recreation Site is closed indefinitely due to public safety concerns. No public access to the hot springs. See the Meager Creek slide area map.
    • Unscheduled closures of the road can happen without advance notice if conditions exceed the defined limits of landslide risk, as outlined in figure 11 on page 15 of the Volcanic Landslide Risk Managementdocument. Any current closures will be noted here.

I took a look at the harvest data this morning.

Between 2003 and 2017 there were a total of zero goats taken out of 2-11. That's 15 years of zero harvests. I find this surprising because it includes the years PRIOR to the slide!!!

However, something happened in 2017/18 - There were 4 goats taken in 2017 and 2 goats in 2018.

That said, the report does not mention whether the goats come out of 2-11A or 2-11B which is also a big missing piece. Could be that around 2017/2018 the road access into Zone B was improved and that's where the additional success came from?

Thank you all for your thoughts and thanks a lot for looking up the harvest stats! Appreciated! Sounds like a tough nut to crack. Just for the case that the improved harvest rates can be explained with enhanced access in region a, I will have a look at the area in the next days. Otherwise I’ll take it as a learning to be more selective with draws.

Quote Originally Posted by dany View Post
    Thank you all for your thoughts and thanks a lot for looking up the harvest stats! Appreciated! Sounds like a tough nut to crack. Just for the case that the improved harvest rates can be explained with enhanced access in region a, I will have a look at the area in the next days. Otherwise I’ll take it as a learning to be more selective with draws.
    Let us know how it goes .... others will be wondering about access next year as well