Thread: First time Caribou Hunt - LEH

First time Caribou Hunt - LEH

Hi everyone,

I was lucky enough to land a Caribou LEH in Spatsizi this year - August 15-31! It'll be my first time hunting Caribou. I was wondering if anyone had any tips they'd be willing to share! Also, does anyone know if Region 6-20 Zone A is only accessible by Fly-in? Or is it possible to drive up to Iskut with my trailer and pack in for a week from there?

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

2. Site Sponsor

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Re: First time Caribou Hunt - LEH

If you leave your Vehicle parked in the Flying Outfit yard, you can assume its still there and in one piece when you come out of the Bush.

Everything else all Bets are off !

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Quote Originally Posted by truenorthhunting View Post
    Hi everyone,

I was lucky enough to land a Caribou LEH in Spatsizi this year - August 15-31! It'll be my first time hunting Caribou. I was wondering if anyone had any tips they'd be willing to share! Also, does anyone know if Region 6-20 Zone A is only accessible by Fly-in? Or is it possible to drive up to Iskut with my trailer and pack in for a week from there?

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated!
    I'm new to this too, but my reading of the threads suggests you're going to need to fly in.

Don't forget to read about the missing hunter and be on the look out for him.

If you're going solo, and probably even if you aren't, make sure you have satellite communication. If solo Id suggest using some satellite tracking for trusted friends and keep that thing charged. Also do like the name says and keep it in reach at all times.

Book your flight soon, Klappan rail grade is not passable . If you have any questions pm I have done it before
    yep that's what I said

Quote Originally Posted by mikek blacktail View Post
    Book your flight soon, Klappan rail grade is not passable . If you have any questions pm I have done it before
    Klappan rail grade is not passable with truck or any vehicle? Is it quad accessible? I know of the last washout from last year but havent heard if anyone has attempted to go by with quads or if it was planned to get repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
    If you leave your Vehicle parked in the Flying Outfit yard, you can assume its still there and in one piece when you come out of the Bush.

Everything else all Bets are off !

Cheers
    Haha, good to know! Thanks for the input

Quote Originally Posted by Lelantos View Post
    I'm new to this too, but my reading of the threads suggests you're going to need to fly in.

Don't forget to read about the missing hunter and be on the look out for him.

If you're going solo, and probably even if you aren't, make sure you have satellite communication. If solo Id suggest using some satellite tracking for trusted friends and keep that thing charged. Also do like the name says and keep it in reach at all times.
    Yea it's looking like fly-in would be the best option regardless.

I'll definitely read up on the missing hunter and keep an eye out! Thanks for the heads up

Agreed! I always carry my in-reach on me at all times with extended lightweight charging devices and keep in communication with my family and hunting friends. If I do end up going solo I'll be extra diligent for sure.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by mikek blacktail View Post
    Will do! I requested a quote for chartered flights leaving from Smithers this morning to get an idea of what I'm looking at. I'll send you a PM as well to make sure I'm on the right track.

Thanks! Really appreciate it

Curious why you didn't look into this prior to putting in for the draw? Flights are getting harder to get.

I’d rather take a hard kick in the nuts, before I walked a caribou outta there.
    Going from the big lake to the where the bou are is a bitch, never mind walking outta the park.
    Get a flight and do it quickly.
    Coldfish is a very busy lake.
    Call Klappan air if ur going to fly in.
    Was about 2200 flight before inflation.
    Get into shape, caribou are heavy.