Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Kamloops lake Sheep 3-29A

Re: Kamloops lake Sheep 3-29A

Quote Originally Posted by pieter View Post
    I had the November draw last year done a lot of spotting from steelhead campsite had a great bunch of guys helping but it takes a lot of spotting and then drive the roads above them and hike down and hope the stay where they were I got a good ram
    your thread was one of the first I went back and read again actually, beautiful ram! Did you get a mount done? If so? Do you have it back yet ?

congrats on having what looks like three generations with ya !

looks like you have lots of people offering help but i can help with where the rams are hangin out if you need the help.

great offer MR.B.....HUNTER181
    as for spotting scopes just sold my Swarovski HD set up..20-60 variable zoom..65mm front optic..sold it for new price threw in 2 tripods,$$$ stay on cover..etc etc they do hold their value..could have sold mine 5x over. BUY ONCE CRY ONCE..
    ONE last??? ha ha..watch out for a sentinal ram..= lookout slightly seperated by the group of rams..the crotchety old solo rams are taken out because they cant look all around..
    often cali rams will bed up in front of a small juniper or rock...hides/breakup outline .
    i will leave BHB/BRANDEN DAUM et all to share recent long time locations.i loved spotting from the trailer park near the gas station .
    cheers
    Srupp

I would look for the used spotters first. There is still lots of time before actually needing one, and guys will be putting them up. I run a Kowa 773 with the prominar glass. Very good reviews from the birding world, and at a decent price. About $2800 plus tax new.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    your thread was one of the first I went back and read again actually, beautiful ram! Did you get a mount done? If so? Do you have it back yet ?

congrats on having what looks like three generations with ya !
    I'm getting the mount done by Ken Thibideau

I live in savona and travel to red lake quite often.I see them a bit higher up on top of the mountains when it is hot out. They are usually in bachelor groups in early sept. I will PM when i start seeing them.

Thanks a lot for all the offers, this site is unreal sometimes..!
    those that have offered and I haven’t touched base yet, I will soon, am trying to get all my ducks in a row first!

what magnification should I be looking at to be able to comfortably glass across the lake? Any suggestions for a lightweight tripod? Those are the only two items that’ll be needed for this hunt I believe.. want to get them ordered in the next few days so I can start scouting by the august long weekend at the absolute latest.

edit, make that three items.. going to get a phone skope as well, figure that’ll make glassing much more comfortable as per the suggestions.

I haven’t decided on spotter brand yet, but figure the magnification is more important.

Go for a 65 or 80 mag spotting scope with the best glass you can afford, buy once cry once it will be an investment for life. Alpha glass includes zeiss, swaro, leica. Try them all out and get what feels best for you since your the one using it. For the love of god don't get vortex. Give Omer from Precision optics a call and outline your situation he will sell you what you need, not what you want. Tripods can vary in price but I have the Sirui recommended by Omer great value buy that doesn't break the bank....https://www.precisionoptics.net/category_s/887.htm.
    Last edited by smeegle; 07-04-2022 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smeegle View Post
    Go for a 65 or 80 mag spotting scope with the best glass you can afford, buy once cry once it will be an investment for life. Alpha glass includes zeiss, swaro, leica. Try them all out and get what feels best for you since your the one using it. For the love of god don't get vortex. Give Omer from Precision optics a call and outline your situation he will sell you what you need, not what you want. Tripods can vary in price but I have the Sirui recommended by Omer great value buy that doesn't break the bank....https://www.precisionoptics.net/category_s/887.htm.
    65 and 80 is not the "mag" of the scopes. It is the objective size.
    For someone who would think vortex is so bad I would expect them to be experienced enough to know the difference. *rolls eyes*

Ryo, for glassing across the lake none of them are going to be optimal, as the heatwave affects them all the same at that distance. If it's a cool day, them yes, get the best you can afford.

If you're on a budget Vortex Razor will be just fine.
    If you've decided to spend a bit more consider Kowa scopes as well. They are top notch and priced below the Likes of Swarovski.

You can find pretty good deals on a used vortex razor 65, it'll get the job done if you plan on buying one just for this hunt and then re selling it after. Of course you wont be able to swing your d*ck around camp like the guys using the alpha glass though.