Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Kamloops lake Sheep 3-29A

Re: Kamloops lake Sheep 3-29A

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche123 View Post
    A good spotting scope is critical and I think it will end up augmenting your hunting style....but yes it is a pricey toy. A used swaro will sell fast too. Good luck!
    Exactly, my hunting so far has never placed me in a position where I need to take a shot over 250m, this hunt is about to change that (for my friend though since it’s his tag)
    Too many hobbies, too little time.

Double post.
    Last edited by RyoTHC; 06-29-2022 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche123 View Post
    A good spotting scope is critical and I think it will end up augmenting your hunting style....but yes it is a pricey toy. A used swaro will sell fast too. Good luck!

doubt it’ll change my hunting style, just essential now..
    what kind of zoom are we talking being essential here? Will the smaller vortex razor spotting scope that’s around 1100 be sufficient? It’s 11x33x50. binos I run the new fury 5000s range finding binos. I have no problem spending the money on the glass, I just know I won’t want to keep it after.. if I could spot and stalk into these sheep without glassing I would without hesitation.
    Last edited by RyoTHC; 06-29-2022 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    doubt it’ll change my hunting style, just essential now..
    what kind of zoom are we talking being essential here? Will the smaller vortex razor spotting scope that’s around 1100 be sufficient? It’s 11x33x50. binos I run the new fury 5000s range finding binos. I have no problem spending the money on the glass, I just know I won’t want to keep it after.. if I could spot and stalk into these sheep without glassing I would without hesitation.
    augment not change...
    I don't know what the glass quality is like on the Vortex...Ive had same swaro glass for over 30yrs (binos and spotter)....with more magnification heat waves become a problem...
    Maybe take up someones offer to help who has a spotting scope?
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

I'm not a sheep hunter but from what i have observed listening to others its an ass and glass style - sit down and pick apart the terrain, better to glass a mountain than climb it just to see whats up there. That being said this isn't your usual sheep hunt as you can drive to your glassing points.
    Suggest a big part of your scouting is from a distance, your don't want to be stomping around the week before your tag opens and push the sheep - remember they are not "really" hunted therefore increases in area activity may not be good.
    Sept the rams may be in groups away from the lambs/ewes, no interest in the ladies yet so you may to have to locate them.
    Good optics are never a bad idea and in the future when counting points is pretty important knowing if thats a 6 point elk before you try to get him, tripalm on a moose or locating the sheep of a lifetime - you'll use a spotter again.
    My son gets some pretty amazing photo's of game via his phone scope adapter and Vortex spotter.

I had a ewe draw here in 2014, drove up / got a ewe / home by 1pm, had 3 spots i wanted to hit and found them on the third. Wasn't too impressed with the meat and maybe it was just mine but a mixture of sage brush and urine was the best description. Saw a group on rock outcropping that had a dandy ram in tow - i got caught up looking at him as i think he was pretty good but for comparison i didn't have another ram to compare to, but then i had to make sure i was lined up on a ewe and not a banana ram - i pulled back 4 times to re-check before taking a shot (200yds / 7-0.
    I decided after that i would only ever apply for a ram as it wasn't a meat hunt.
    Again congrats on the draw, you may have another kid but you will probably never have this draw again!!
    Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    with the exception of the sheep, I’m confident that I’ll never use it again lol, most of my shots on animals are sub 50 yards.. enjoy some spot and stalk.. even elk hunting I’m not glassing, run and gunning for me.. even if that means tag soup.. I can’t sit still lol.. this hunt I’ll have to force myself due to the rarity but it won’t be fun haha

I'm excited to follow this hunt. Please take pics.
    We'll live vicariously through you.

Need a spotting scope!?!? I'm selling one

Up in Kamloops this weekkend.

Quote Originally Posted by vincentcui View Post
    I don’t have a friend who has a spotting scope that worth over 1K; I might end up with buying one
    Dont get caught up with the hype too much. I used a Bushnell Spacemaster for about 20 years of sheep hunting and I put rams on the wall. Sure you may not be able to count rings at a kilometer but I could always judge if the ram was worth a closer look or if that white rump was a sheep or a mule deer at a few kilometers away.

I would also bet the newer vortex models that run in the 5-600 range are head and shoulders above what I was using for years.

If you are limited on funds, I would rather pay for tanks of gas for scouting trips then a high end spotter. Also your LEH tags are for any ram. You dont need the high end optics to see if the ram is 8 years of age for a stone sheep, or is that lamb tip over the bridge of the nose or if that mature ram at spences has broken the bridge of the nose too. You should will be shooting a broomed (by age and not just a busted horn on a 3/4 curl lamp tipped ram) ram that is close to furl curl. An inch either way on the horn wont matter as the sheep will be great.

If push came to shove look at the darkest colored ram first in a group rams. The darkest rams will always be the older rams in a group. Start there and then look at horns.

I will be in touch.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Sent you a PM.
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the the most intelligent , it is the one most adaptable to change"

I had the November draw last year done a lot of spotting from steelhead campsite had a great bunch of guys helping but it takes a lot of spotting and then drive the roads above them and hike down and hope the stay where they were I got a good ram

I had the November draw last year a lot of spotting from Steelhead campsite and the lookout had a great bunch of guys helping got a great ram