Thread: Best ways to make use of a high traffic game trail.

Best ways to make use of a high traffic game trail.

Hello

So I have been putting out game cams for a while now and I have finally got onto a gold mine of a game trail, lots of use by mulie , whitetail and elk. Lots of big bucks and bulls.

The area is in pretty thick woods away from the fsr. Big game trail and I’m getting tons of action on the 2 cams I set out there. So far I’ve dropped 2 bags of deer Cain in front of the cams just off the trail.

what’s you suggestions for next step?
    clear brush in the area?
    tree stand? Ground blind?
    deer feeder? Never used one before.
    more cams ?
    more salt licks, different types of mineral licks?

Thanks all, any advice is appreciated
    Lord let me come home bloody, not my own.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Best ways to make use of a high traffic game trail.

I think that will depend on what you are hunting. If you have good bulls I would leave it alone and chase in sept. If you are going to hunt deer i would look at a ground blind or a tree stand and pay attention to the wind. Salt never hurt anything. Don’t make it to obvious that you attract other hunters. Sometimes less is more. I try and keep my foot print on the land as minimal as possible until game time. This is foot and vehicle tracks. I have had 2 cameras stolen so I’m very aware of other hunters catching my tracks
    Last edited by jac; 06-25-2022 at 08:21 PM.

First thing you should do is forward the coordinates to me so I can check myself because I am not sure you are telling the truth....

But seriously if you are going to put up a stand or blind I would do it soon so you aren't going to blow up the spot at game time. Then try to hold yourself back from going to check cams too much. As for salt, I find that game uses it steady all summer then rarely uses it once September rolls around.

Start expanding from there and figure out why this animal highway exists, how each species is using the area. Should give you insight as to if and how the trail and surrounding area will be used come September, October, November, December.

I agree with Caddisguy, figure out where they are going and why,,, that may be the place to set up. If not, find a spot as far as you can from that trail, find a clean route into it and dont go back till hunting season.

XPEIER

Not having low hanging branches around help.
    The wind causing branches to move can use up the card quick,
    But at the same time, having someone find your camera and walk away with it sucks also when it is more exposed.