Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slinky's 2021 Whitetail

Slinky's 2021 Whitetail

We have the great fortune to be able to hunt from an elevated blind over an alfalfa field. I had seen this guy on camera once and he had filled my dreams/nightmares since that time. Below is the brief story of how things turned out

The snow was finally falling and we had about 3 inches of the fresh stuff in the field. Once the ground is white, we have at least 15 - 20 minutes of functional extra shooting light simply because of the light background. We had been watching a number of doe/fawn groups and a couple of small bucks. About 30 minutes after sunset, I could see an animal emerge from the bush. Initially his rack was still obscured by the background so I waited a bit. Then I saw the tell tale rack of the big boy and I knew this was my chance. I had to wait for him to come far enough into the field to provide a safe shot. We watched him for about 10 minutes and during that time he put a younger buck in his place and then had a bit of a chat with a doe. In fact, the doe was wandering our way and the big guy was in tow. At about 200 yards he was in a safe shooting spot and managed to turn broadside. I settled in and squeezed off a shot. He dropped where he stood!

This is the first animal that I've even considered getting a mount done of. Before skinning, I texted Ian at Wild Ridge taxidermy and confirmed a few things with him. I'll be taking the hide with uncaped head to him later today. I think I only messed up the skinning a bit.

We dressed him and I was off to the skinning hoist. Field dressed he was 189 lbs and I assume that I left about 30 lbs of guts in the bush so he was about 220 lbs live. Head and hide off he was 145 lbs.

To put it mildly, I'm quite happy with this buck. I was having a bit of a tough time getting excited about hunting this year and this guy brought me out of my funk.

If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Slinky's 2021 Whitetail

Fast forward to this week and Ian gave me a call... the mount was done. What a beast! I doubt I'll ever find his equal.

My initial prediction of 184 gross and 166 after deductions was a little off. The main reason was my inability to define a good datum from which to measure the tine length from.

The official score was 180 6/8 non-typical and 167 4/8 typical. I'm pretty happy with that. I'm not a big "book" guy so I will most likely not apply for either the British Columbia book (meets requirement for typical and non-typical) or the Boone and Crocket book (meets requirement for typical). It's just something I'll probably scratch onto the back of the mount.

This is the first buck I've ever had scored and the process was interesting. I might try it again myself and see if I come up with a similar number now that I know the process a little better.

Last edited by Slinky Pickle; 06-18-2022 at 06:35 PM.
    If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

Damn, what a great buck! Congratulations and good luck topping it.

This is exactly what you want to find when you dig out the bullet. It's a 165 gr Nosler that now weighs 115.7 gr so that's about 70% retention. I'll take that any day.

Wow, Beauty of a Buck!!
    Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Slinky Pickle View Post
    This is exactly what you want to find when you dig out the bullet. It's a 165 gr Nosler that now weighs 115.7 gr so that's about 70% retention. I'll take that any day.

Is that an accubond?

Nice cranker by the way.

Holy BUCK!!! Thanks of the story and pictures. Congratulations, must have been very satisfying.

Nets are for fish, thats an eye popping 180 class buck all day long.
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!

wow thats a beast! thanks for sharing pics and story

One heck of a buck, congrats!

That’s a dream buck right there. The mount turned out phenomenal. Great work and thanks for sharing
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member