Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossing Muncho Lake

Re: Crossing Muncho Lake

Now, I'm not saying that you haven't done your homework yet as I don't know you or your mentality, but it never hurts to remind new sheep and goat hunters. Especially with this influx the last few years of newer hunters trying out these species.
    Being new to sheep hunting, probably the most important thing to remember is that you do not NEED to bring one home regardless of quality/age. The number of illegal rams taken last year was ridiculous, not to mention who-knows how many young full curl (legal) rams. Great way to fast track LEH for all sheep in BC. Very important to do your home work and KNOW what you're looking at when you get up there.
    If don't know exactly what you're looking at - don't shoot. If you know what you're looking at is less than 8 - don't shoot.

We need to get rid of this idea that getting a ram is what makes you a sheep hunter. Working your balls off, finding rams, pursuing them, learning about them is what makes a sheep hunter. Loving that north country and the animals that live there and doing the right thing by walking away from young ones (even if they may be legal) makes you a sheep hunter, even if you haven't killed one yet. No one should be back patting and "nice ram buddy!"ing guys coming home with 6/7 yr old rams.

I hope you get up there, have a bunch of fun, learn a lot about them, and maybe even find some rams. Just know that if you do all those things and come home without one - you still had a successful hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by smallfry14 View Post
    Now, I'm not saying that you haven't done your homework yet as I don't know you or your mentality, but it never hurts to remind new sheep and goat hunters. Especially with this influx the last few years of newer hunters trying out these species.
    Being new to sheep hunting, probably the most important thing to remember is that you do not NEED to bring one home regardless of quality/age. The number of illegal rams taken last year was ridiculous, not to mention who-knows how many young full curl (legal) rams. Great way to fast track LEH for all sheep in BC. Very important to do your home work and KNOW what you're looking at when you get up there.
    If don't know exactly what you're looking at - don't shoot. If you know what you're looking at is less than 8 - don't shoot.

We need to get rid of this idea that getting a ram is what makes you a sheep hunter. Working your balls off, finding rams, pursuing them, learning about them is what makes a sheep hunter. Loving that north country and the animals that live there and doing the right thing by walking away from young ones (even if they may be legal) makes you a sheep hunter, even if you haven't killed one yet. No one should be back patting and "nice ram buddy!"ing guys coming home with 6/7 yr old rams.

I hope you get up there, have a bunch of fun, learn a lot about them, and maybe even find some rams. Just know that if you do all those things and come home without one - you still had a successful hunt!

Sorry i don't necessarily agree with all your saying. Ive seen some very nice 7 year old rams that score high and 10 plus year old rams that wouldn't score high but were legal. infact ive seen some 6 year old rams that were decent scoring rams and no brainer that they were legal way over the bridge of the nose. To suggest that if it is less than eight to not shoot i wouldnt agree with that. For some if it is a legal ram then its legal and or if its a whopper of a ram scoring in the high 160's but only 7 most sheep hunters i know would take the shot. I absolutely agree with you to know what your shooting, how to tell a ram is legal and if its a wise decision to take the ram. And yes illegal rams were shot and that is the shits. learn how to field judge is very important

Does anyone know how many illegal rams were taken year over year? I keep hering last year there was a big increase but havent seen any data...

Its sad but I dont think harvest will have anything to do with the decision to ban sheep hunting when it comes..
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

This pic was posted September 8th last year, and these rams came from region 7 alone.

Well said.....
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

Quote Originally Posted by stoneramhunter View Post
    Sorry i don't necessarily agree with all your saying. Ive seen some very nice 7 year old rams that score high and 10 plus year old rams that wouldn't score high but were legal. infact ive seen some 6 year old rams that were decent scoring rams and no brainer that they were legal way over the bridge of the nose. To suggest that if it is less than eight to not shoot i wouldnt agree with that. For some if it is a legal ram then its legal and or if its a whopper of a ram scoring in the high 160's but only 7 most sheep hunters i know would take the shot. I absolutely agree with you to know what your shooting, how to tell a ram is legal and if its a wise decision to take the ram. And yes illegal rams were shot and that is the shits. learn how to field judge is very important
    No doubt there are a fair amount of gifted 6 and 7 year olds running around, but shooting those rams is definitely not what's best for the herd. If you get onto a band of rams with a sh**ty, busted 10+ year old, and a 40" 6 or 7 year old, there's no question in my mind that the busted old 10+ year old is the ram to take.
    You mentioned "if its a wise decision to take the ram" and to me, part of that consideration is whether or not it's a good thing overall for the band/herd and as an extension, your future hunting opportunities on them.
    Everyone will have their own opinions on what is a good harvest, ranging from "if it's legal it's legal" to "if you shoot younger than 10 y/o's, you're a dick" and it's okay to disagree on that, but I hope that the guys who go up north and smash young rams every other year aren't surprised when they lose their opportunity to do that. If our average age of harvested rams is higher, it will be harder to justify taking the season from us.

That's in a world where BC manages their wildlife based on conservation and actual data/science though, so as electric dyck said, it probably won't even matter if recent events are any indicator..but it's nice to pretend.

Electric Dyck- I'm no research guru so I can't find anything recent, but this link says there were 6 illegal rams taken in 7B in 2014 and at that time, the 10 year average was 3 per year.
    https://www.wildsheepsociety.com/wp-..._01_04_016.pdf

No doubt there are a fair amount of gifted 6 and 7 year olds running around, but shooting those rams is definitely not what's best for the herd. If you get onto a band of rams with a sh**ty, busted 10+ year old, and a 40" 6 or 7 year old, there's no question in my mind that the busted old 10+ year old is the ram to take.
    You mentioned "if its a wise decision to take the ram" and to me, part of that consideration is whether or not it's a good thing overall for the band/herd and as an extension, your future hunting opportunities on them.
    Everyone will have their own opinions on what is a good harvest, ranging from "if it's legal it's legal" to "if you shoot younger than 10 y/o's, you're a dick" and it's okay to disagree on that, but I hope that the guys who go up north and smash young rams every other year aren't surprised when they lose their opportunity to do that. If our average age of harvested rams is higher, it will be harder to justify taking the season from us.

That's in a world where BC manages their wildlife based on conservation and actual data/science though, so as electric dyck said, it probably won't even matter if recent events are any indicator..but it's nice to pretend.

Electric Dyck- I'm no research guru so I can't find anything recent, but this link says there were 6 illegal rams taken in 7B in 2014 and at that time, the 10 year average was 3 per year.
    https://www.wildsheepsociety.com/wp-..._01_04_016.pdf

A 40 inch ram now that's impressive for a ram regardless of age!!. A lot of sheep hunters have never seen a 40 inch ram. Ive got a few years of sheep hunting behind me so i think i would dispute your statement that " If you get onto a band of rams with a sh**ty, busted 10+ year old, and a 40" 6 or 7 year old, there's no question in my mind that the busted old 10+year old is the ram to take." A broomed off 10 year old ram could be a decent ram or a no shooter. But each to his own for sure. I have a lot of hardcore long time sheep hunting friends that would love to connect with a 40 inch plus ram

Quote Originally Posted by stoneramhunter View Post
    A 40 inch ram now that's impressive for a ram regardless of age!!. A lot of sheep hunters have never seen a 40 inch ram. Ive got a few years of sheep hunting behind me so i think i would dispute your statement that " If you get onto a band of rams with a sh**ty, busted 10+ year old, and a 40" 6 or 7 year old, there's no question in my mind that the busted old 10+year old is the ram to take." A broomed off 10 year old ram could be a decent ram or a no shooter. But each to his own for sure. I have a lot of hardcore long time sheep hunting friends that would love to connect with a 40 inch plus ram
    Yup - I don't know you personally but it sounds like you been around a lot longer than me and I'm sure looked at a lot more rams too, and I respect that, so keep in mind I'm telling you my opinion more so than "tellin you how it is"
    40" rams are not behind every rock that's for sure, it's just my opinion that the genetically gifted young fellas should stay on the mountain

Oh we for sure will be erring on the side of caution. Going up there for sheep is more an excuse to get into that beautiful country and have an adventure, with the potential at getting a ram. Been putting lots of time into research on all aspects of this hunt, including field judging sheep.

Appreciate the advice.

What smallfry says about not needing to bring a sheep home hits close to my thoughts. I understand many hunters, especially new hunters feel success is in the killing. I posted once where taking an animal could possibly "ruin" my hunt. Someone replied that maybe I shouldnt be a hunter then! Hunter is the keyword! If I find my quarry and elect to pass, I get to keep hunting! Hunting is an adventure and adventure is my success.
    And to the original poster of this thread, have a great adventure!