Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossing Muncho Lake

Crossing Muncho Lake

Hi there everyone,

My friend and I were thinking of crossing Muncho lake with a boat this year for sheep in August to try and get away from the crowds a little bit if possible. Was wondering if anyone had some insight on this? Not looking for any honey holes of course, just curious if it is even worth the effort. The land looks promising judging from google earth images. We are both new to sheep hunting, but have plenty of experience up in the mountains.

Thanks guys

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Crossing Muncho Lake

Not sure how much that would get you away from the crowds. You would still be on the same mountain as anyone who just started hiking from either end of the lake.

I’m sure it’s been done before. Good plan but
    best thing to get away from crowds without a boat or plane is go later in the year.
    later the better for crowding.

Goes to the busiest place to get away from crowds, you can’t even fly in anywhere in bc and not have crowds so good luck with that.

Its very rugged over there, there is also a fair bit of wooded areas and gullies. I would venture to say there is alot of places for rams to hang and hide, it is a good option. I dont think you would see to many people and if you run into people - move on! im guessing you would be looking at crossing near the middle. You could plan to go up, bring boat, set up and glass quickly the opposite shore before committing. See how rugged it is first, and have a plan B!

It's much easyer to just hike in iv hunted that side the east side of the lake has alot of lambs and ewes normally until you hike to the back side.

should be a good horse trail there somewhere, maybe not right at the water
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Thanks for the advice guys,

Of course I was not expecting to have the mountains to myself up in Muncho, but just to weed out some competition by going to a rougher area to access. Not afraid of tough hiking in the least.
    And yes, we were hoping to cross somewhere in the middle of the lake, and hike up one of the drainages, hunt over on the other side as well. The country in there looks pretty good to me at least.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lobot Doog View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys,

Of course I was not expecting to have the mountains to myself up in Muncho, but just to weed out some competition by going to a rougher area to access. Not afraid of tough hiking in the least.
    And yes, we were hoping to cross somewhere in the middle of the lake, and hike up one of the drainages, hunt over on the other side as well. The country in there looks pretty good to me at least.
    Thanks
    Enjoy sounds like fun , but you wont be along up there very popular area .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

I know of several good rams taken in in that area good luck