Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mennonite sausage in fsj

Re: Mennonite sausage in fsj

I worked in the meat business for 25 years they use it to prevent bacteria / longer shelf life / eye appeal it’s what prevents the cured meats from having that grey look , when used it retains the pink colour of meat . A lot of processors now use celery salt and others ingredients . I think if a person limits their intake your fine but if your diet is all processed meats and you drink alcohol excessively and smoke like a chimney that’s not good .
    I think you have had health issues Wildcatter and in no way am I trying to be dis respectful please know that Natural is always best !.
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    I got some sausages and other stuff from Margets, it's pretty decent, but they all have sodium nitrate.
    Asked why and they said it's required, I call it BS.
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 06-17-2022 at 12:26 PM.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Ask a mennonite woman as they like the mennonite sausage!!
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Costco in Alberta used to have "Menonite" sausage that was pretty good. 4 pack..
    Dana says:"That isn't me braggin', that is just me stating a fact."

Quote Originally Posted by Norwestalta View Post
    The butcher block is pretty good. If you want some of the best jerky you've ever ate go to the beaverlodge butcher shop. Well worth the extra drive. While you're there you may as well pick up some pickled Ukrainian sausage.
    The only people that call it Mennonite sausage are non Mennonites, other wards it's farmer sausage. I'v had the farmer sausage from the Rempel's in Clearbrook/Abbotsford and it's OK, but not quite the quality of the sausage that the Rempel x-work mate and his dad make, his dad was the original Rempel before he sold the business years ago to retire. Unfortunately they only make it in small batches for family and luckily some non family like myself. This reminds me I haven't had any for awhile, I'll have to give them a call.

Quote Originally Posted by browningboy View Post
    Ask a mennonite woman as they like the mennonite sausage!!
    Reminds me of the Letterkenny episode when the Mennonite buddy rolls up in his horse and buggy to invite the boys over for a sausage fest. LOOOOOL! That was one of the funniest episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    I got some sausages and other stuff from Margets, it's pretty decent, but they all have sodium nitrate.
    Asked why and they said it's required, I call it BS.
    The "cure" sodium Nitrate is for smoked meat, I haven't see a recipe for smoked meat that doesn't have the call for the cure which like the one you get at Stuffers is called Prague powder #1 (salt, sodium nitrate). Earlier in this tread I mentioned fresh farmer sausage, unsmoked so no cure involved in the recipe. On this topic I had to look at a sausage making book that I got at Stuffers years ago, "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Grinding by Rytek Kutas. In the forward of the 550+ page book is called the "Sausage making bible". In the Cures section of the book it reads" fresh sausages are never cured; only products that are smoked and cooked or dry-cured product must be cured". They give different reasons for the curing, preventing botulism is one.
    Last edited by ACB; 06-17-2022 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Miss spelling