Thread: Tuchodi River 7-42A for Elk?

Tuchodi River 7-42A for Elk?

Looks like Tuchodi River, 7-42A, LEH Hunt Code 2208, gives you August 20-Oct 31 to get an antlerless elk, and last year's odds were only 1.7-1! The odds are great, the timing is great,
    what's the catch? The last edition of the Regs has an open season on both 3 and 6 point elk in that area in early September... I know we Canadians are going to take a big hit against us
    as far as hunting opportunities go in the next Regs...when they finally come out...but if there's any bull season on top of the antlerless it seems pretty good? I'd be interested in hearing from
    anyone who's hunted there, if they drove in from Hwy. 97, camped, quadded, and hiked...or boated in, or got a ride in with the jet boat outfit. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tuchodi River 7-42A for Elk?

Boat and hiking are a necessity to get into the area. You could also fly in. The reason for good odds is not lack of elk but lack of access.

Hey Tinhorse, There's no logging road to get you into the east end of the area from Hwy 97...no quad trails...all walking and boating? Are the rivers shallow or can you get in there with a 15 hp and aluminum boat?
    Last edited by Singleshotneeded; 06-14-2022 at 01:05 PM.
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

Quote Originally Posted by Singleshotneeded View Post
    Hey Tinhorse, There's no logging road to get you into the east end of the area from Hwy 97...no quad trails...all walking and boating? Are the rivers shallow or can you get in there with a 15 hp and aluminum boat?
    That's correct. Boat in only. If you get a cartopper with a kicker up the Tuchodi you deserve any elk you get.

I've been into the Tuchodi 4 times in the past 10 years.
    Plane or jet boat are your 2 viable access options.
    You won't be doing that river in a 15 horse tin boat...

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    I've been into the Tuchodi 4 times in the past 10 years.
    Plane or jet boat are your 2 viable access options.
    You won't be doing that river in a 15 horse tin boat...
    You might get there but you need one of them asian boat motors... the kind that has a 20 foot transom on it. Wear a welding helmet too to avoid the sparks.
    WSSBC Life Member

Been up there a few times myself in the past. All the way to the lakes. It’s a loooong haul. With the price of pump gas could buy a couple horses and ride in I’d think. The mid 90’s kicked the crap out of game up there once everyone and their dog got a river boat. My uncle had a boat early 90’s and there wasn’t a trip when they didn’t bring elk, moose and sheep out. I never got to see those days. I think there are far more elk in the Ft St John area if you want a cow tag.

I would actually look at crossing the prophet. There is a couple spots to drive down to the river and crossing is doable in a tin with 15. After that it would be hiking to get into an area worth spending time (most likely 3-5 km minimum).