Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't leave anything at camp!

Re: Don't leave anything at camp!

Keep an eye out on local craigslist, facebook marketplace, etc.
    That's brutal. Hopefully you can recover your stuff.
    Check my Youtube Channel for fishing and hunting videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjN...AEGjPIUba3pn9g

Very sorry to hear this happened. The Cariboo is a beauty place but just like the city, thieves are always lurking and since things are a little more remote (less eyes out there) the thieves are pretty bold. Less chance of being confronted out in the sticks there (they can take their time and know they can probably even crash there a night or two) and just like anywhere else, not really any legal consequences if they do get caught.

There are lots of people from the LML with property up there that only visit every few weekends seasonally, so lots of easy targets for thieves. Unless someone is living there full time or you have neighbours or enough other out of towners to coordinate checking on each others places, it's pretty tough to avoid. Even a cabin or other home all locked up is likely to be broken into if left for unattended. Winters are the worst for that. Not uncommon for squatters to take up residence in cabins/houses out there, squat for a month and hack up the structure inside and out just to burn in the wood furnace even if there's wood around outside.

I hope insurance will cover the damage to the trailer as well as the stolen items. Hopefully you coordinate with some peeps to keep an eye on things, but best not to leave much if anything there or build anything on it until (if and when) the property can be occupied most of the time.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 06-14-2022 at 02:40 PM.

sorry to hear of your stuff...hopefully no guns included in the list...buddy who had property up near hundred mile said first thing he put up at the place was a sea can locked up tight...it got broken into too eventually...he finally sold his (W)rec(K) property

So sorry to hear that! Like adriaticum said, I highly doubt it was outdoorsmen...but the vermin thieves that prowl around looking to steal are growing in number.
    Makes you want to set up a bait camp sometime, well out of the way, and with a few amigos hidden around, give them a warm welcome when they come "shopping".
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

Do you have a list of items we can be on the lookout for? Happy to monitor for stuff as I regularly browse a few times a week varous marketplaces.

Quote Originally Posted by JIL_24/7 View Post
    Insurance covers theft of the trailer. Not the contents. I haven't been able to see if renter's insurance will cover anything, but at this point there's not much hope of that.
    Home insurance covers your contents no matter where they go missing. My truck was broken into at the zoo and my home insurance covered everything. If they cover it let us know so we can have a discussion about dealing with insurance as well

I'm sorry to hear that...I hope you create a police file, and then maybe your items will turn up..

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

The Caribou is bad but all other areas in BC including Vancouver Island are not far behind. Any place with road access is in danger to get looted, ransacked and burned down. Places far out in the Bush without Road/Boat Access seem to do better but there are no Guarantees. At one time I left 8 Saddles on the Porch of a Fly in only Lake Cabin to be picked up by our Pilot a few Days later, by the Time he got there the Saddles where all gone.

Trail Cams are a good tool to identify Thieves and Vehicles.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

If the thieves are local, they may have trail cameras along different roads and travel routes. As other folks have mentioned, there's a whole different type of people in the backcountry now. Torched cars, trash, timber theft, squatters and their mounds of garbage and poached animal dumps . . . . the bush isn't like it used to be.

JIL, sure hoping you get some resolution to your situation, and that you will be able to enjoy your holdings without looking over your shoulder all the time.

Very sorry to hear this JIL. Chin up man, it will get better might take a while but it will.

There was a rash of theft in the Southern Cariboo 5-6 years ago. They ended up getting two guys from Surrey/Langley area. Its not just locals thieves travel. They get tired of having to work for it in the urban areas so take a road trip to where peoples guard is down more and go to town. Thieves are anywhere and everywhere and can come from anywhere and everywhere.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this