Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting in Western states

Hunting in Western states

Anyone have experience hunting in any western states without a guide? Just looking to gain some knowledge or information about applying for elk, pronghorn, mule deer or if it’s even a possibility without hiring a guide. Most states have points systems. I’ve read state websites and haven’t seen a lot of info pertaining to non-US citizens getting licences, just out of state residents.
    Thanks in advance.

Jereky

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting in Western states

Check out ‘the mindful hunter’ Jay Nichol on YouTube or his podcast. He’s addressed this topic specifically in detail. Can’t remember his handle here on HBC

I've big game hunted in CO, WY , AZ, NE, KS, NV, OR, NM and TX without guides....all archery hunting and believe this is still possible in those states, American or Canadian, but haven't researched them recently. WY does have designated Wilderness Area guide requirements for any NR of the state.

Believe Alaska may have a guide requirement for a Canadian for all species...not sure. Brown Bear, Grizzly, Dall Sheep and Goat require a guide for NR of Alaska the last I knew.

License and Tags and Over-the-counter vs LEH will be very state and even management unit specific. Log into states regs and figure it out if interested.

Why would you do that when you live in BC?

Nick, not sure who you directed the question to, but my commentary: All the states I mentioned probably have better deer hunting, whether whitetail or mule deer as applicable vs my experience in BC. Same goes for elk hunting. Generally they have "real" archery seasons, no night hunting, no or less wolves, more animals etc. Not to mention pronghorn hunting in some of the states and Coues Deer in AZ.
    Last edited by Blockcaver; 06-14-2022 at 09:04 AM.

Is not most good hunting on private land in the south? Was more tongue and cheek comment.

Quote Originally Posted by NĄck View Post
    Why would you do that when you live in BC?
    better question is why wouldn’t you go south? When was the last time you hunted antelope? Depending on the unit, Alberta takes 8yrs+ or you could pay $5000-7000k to be guided. Guided mule deer in Alberta is $8000.
    I started applying for antelope and mule deer in Wyoming a few yrs ago. Now that it looks like I’ll be able to travel again I’ll try to pull antelope tags for next fall. It costs me around $200 a yr to build points for my son and I. Depending on the unit I can draw an antelope tag every 1-2yrs in Wyoming and mule deer every 2-3yrs. This yr I’ll start applying for white tails in Kansas or Iowa. Plan is to apply for hunts so that I can go on a multi specie trip every 2-3yrs.

I use wta tags, they do everything for me. I tell them the state and specie I want to hunt and they send me the paper work to fill out. Right now I’m applying for points only, When it comes time to pull my tag I will tell them what kind of hunt I want…..archery/rifle, private/public land, mountain hunt/horse back/blinds/tree stand, guided/unguided, any animal or trophy animal….from there they will tell me which is the best unit to apply for. If/when your drawn they will give you all the contact info you need.

Some of the states mentioned have huge amounts of public lands, US Forest Service, State Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management (BLM), State School Trust Lands open to hunting, State Land Board Lands, Municipal Water Shed Lands and likely others. I've hunted all of those I've mentioned, besides knocking on doors and getting permission. From "Summit Post" WY is 56% public, AZ 57%, CO 56%, NV is 88%, UT is 75%, ID is 70% etc. A few other sites list the numbers as slightly less, but there is a significant amount of public lands in the US.

I went down to Montana in 2000 i think for antelope. Drew a tag and a local took me out. Its till the same but drawing tags is a little tougher.

I started applying for preference points in Montana and Wyoming 2 years ago. Plan on going down in a few years and hitting both states and coming back with two antelope. Depending on where you go in those states you could almost guarantee a tag every year or every two year. Wyoming has a lot of private land so all the areas where you can draw a tag every year are pretty much 100% private so you would have to know someone or pay a tresspass fee. The more crown land hunts you are looking at 5-6 points to get drawn. The better the trophy potential may drive that up to 12 years in wyoming.

Once I have 5 points I will start looking, that should get me a ok area in wyoming with crown land and a real good area in Montana. But the antelope are really hammered by bad winters so an area that may only take 5 years to get drawn may become 10 years if there was a few bad winters.

Costs about $30-35 dollars for a point each year in each state.

No guides required.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.