Thread: Okanagan turkeys

Okanagan turkeys

Turkey season opens April 15 as far west as 8-1 and 8-9 on the east side of the lake …. Anyone have any input on if turkeys are actually there!? I’d love to head out from LMD for a bear/turkey hunt in the next few weeks… just curious if turkey is a reality plain and simple in those units… not asking for a spot or a even a road... just can anyone confirm they are there and there is a chance of running into(or hearing) some ? Thx Bob

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Okanagan turkeys

I chased a flock for a few seasons in the hills of 8-1, but haven’t seen any sign or birds there in at least 5 years. Most of them are going to be on private land, or difficult to access crown land. Long story short, unless you go further east, you aren’t very likely to see birds. One spot to try is Rock Creek area. The north/east side of the river above the garbage dump (it’s lovely this time of year) is the sort of south facing slope they might be on.
    Last edited by Redthies; 04-09-2024 at 07:54 AM.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

I wish they would add a couple more MU's to the Reg8 openings
    before we have to translocate extras to Alberta like they did from Kimberly
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Yeah, there are birds all the way up past Kelowna now. There is no shortage of them.

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    I wish they would add a couple more MU's to the Reg8 openings
    before we have to translocate extras to Alberta like they did from Kimberly
    There are quite a few MU's open for both fall & spring turkey, including around my area. I've heard the odd rumour of a flock in these parts but have yet to lay eyes on turkey anywhere in 8-22, lived here almost 2 decades. Aside from the thrill of the hunt, are they any good to eat? Seems to me I've read the drumsticks are pretty tough. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some feathers for arrow fletching.... hint, hint, all you turkey hunters....

Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    Are they any good to eat? Seems to me I've read the drumsticks are pretty tough.
    Like any animal, (even chicken), there are “good” ones and some that are “not so good”. I often do an Asian flavoured braise on my turkey. I find them to be delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Like any animal, (even chicken), there are “good” ones and some that are “not so good”. I often do an Asian flavoured braise on my turkey. I find them to be delicious.
    I was pretty stoked a couple years ago to bag my 1st Canada Geese. Similar to ducks I breasted them as the drumsticks don't have that much on them. As I was looking into recipes I found a lot of talk about how tough a Canada Goose breast can be if not properly prepared. Most recommend brining overnight before prep. Also many recommend butterflying the breast to make it thinner. If you overcook them they can be like shoe leather. Domestic geese spend their life penned up waddling around on the ground, not much flying, hence the breast meat is tender vs a wild goose that spends a lot of time in the air. I've never had wild turkey but from the experience with wild goose I suspect the breasts are likely tender as they don't fly long distance & spend a lot of time on the ground. So drumsticks could be the tougher part of the bird. I'd certainly like to try some wild turkey, I don't mind meat that tastes a little gamey, tough is another matter.

Duck, Duck, Goose by Hank Shaw. Never have a bad goose breast again.

Wild turkey meat is great! The breast meat is perfect, tasty and tender.

Meater eater cookbook has a turkey pozole recipe that uses the dark meat, so good!

Yup. Rinella knows how to cook game! It’s go time here for Turkey. I’m going to have to restrain myself from shooting the Tom on my neighbors lawn