Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel prices?

Re: Fuel prices?

Same here, extra fuel costs add couple hundred $$ to the trip - not a big deal.
    Hunting trips are seldom are operating on a budget - if it was you would calculate the cost/lb and realize there are cheaper ways to fill your freezer.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbart View Post
    If the price of fuel starts to impact my enjoyment of hunting and fishing then it is time to jump off of a bridge. I won't be changing any plans, even it it goes to $10/litre.

I work in this god forsaken city to have the money to go to the woods...if I had to live in the city and couldn't afford the fuel to get to the country...I would sell and move to the country

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    I work in this god forsaken city to have the money to go to the woods...if I had to live in the city and couldn't afford the fuel to get to the country...I would sell and move to the country
    That's what we did, left the rat race behind. I highly recommend it.

Traffic in the city after rush hour does seem to be a little lighter these days, imo.
    If the wife would allow, I’d be moving to either Vernon or if I want to give up my hunting for the most part, Nanaimo region, and go fishing, albeit neat entrance island to cut down costs.
    No go however………. Grrrrrrt

Quote Originally Posted by XPEIer View Post
    I cringe just to drive the 40 minutes to check my trail cameras,,, need to combine it with another trip. I hunt as close to home as I can, and our LEH are closer to home this year as well. That said, we are departing on an 8000km road trip to Tuk in August,,,, gas budget has doubled but it is still cheaper than plane tickets.

XPEIER
    Quote Originally Posted by westcoaster View Post
    When you get back let us know what the fuel prices are in Inuvik. If you are suffering sticker shock down here wait until you get there....
    Just got back home on Friday from Dawson City and the Dempster. The highest we paid for fuel in the Yukon was $2.13, with the bulk of our fuel up's being $2.03-$2.09. Watson Lake was $1.95.
    Less fuel tax in the Yukon and only 5% gst on bought goods balances things out.
    Take at least 2 jerry cans to enable you to drive past the odd over priced gas station and get in the habit of rolling into the smaller stations to look at the pump price. We got cheaper fuel on a few occasions by doing just that and topping off.

As per the original question, fuel prices won't change my plans much. Might do more overnight trips than day trips, but that's never a bad idea even with cheaper fuel.

Thanks River Otter, I unfortunately cannot pass any gas stations as my Tundra has a tiny gas tank. I will have 3 jerry cans with me to ensure I can get from one to the next. Did you do the entire Dempster?

XPEIER

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Just got back home on Friday from Dawson City and the Dempster. The highest we paid for fuel in the Yukon was $2.13, with the bulk of our fuel up's being $2.03-$2.09. Watson Lake was $1.95.
    Less fuel tax in the Yukon and only 5% gst on bought goods balances things out.
    Take at least 2 jerry cans to enable you to drive past the odd over priced gas station and get in the habit of rolling into the smaller stations to look at the pump price. We got cheaper fuel on a few occasions by doing just that and topping off.

As per the original question, fuel prices won't change my plans much. Might do more overnight trips than day trips, but that's never a bad idea even with cheaper fuel.

The Dempster is a great run. First time I did it years ago you needed multiple spare tires. Have not done that trip in a long time, but plan to do it in the next few years as the wife has not seen it. Going to wait a bit though and hope the fuel prices go down...it will cost thousands otherwise just for fuel.
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Quote Originally Posted by XPEIer View Post
    Thanks River Otter, I unfortunately cannot pass any gas stations as my Tundra has a tiny gas tank. I will have 3 jerry cans with me to ensure I can get from one to the next. Did you do the entire Dempster?

XPEIER
    No we didn't, just went 113K up to show my wife the tundra and catch a glimpse of the Tombstone mountains.
    I've been as far as the Peel river crossing once, but unfortunately the ice bridge was to close to break up, so we turned around. If I get up there again it'll be in early September for the colors. Not that it isn't beautiful anytime.

Not sure what you're running for tires, but we went up with10 plys on my wife's 4 Runner and never had a worry about getting a flat. I had a couple flats on that road with 6 plys the first time I drove it, so wasn't gonna play that game again. Lol.

To get back to the original thread, the fuel bill was definitely worth it to see that country up there.

Drove the Dempster to the Arctic Circle many years ago, early winter with a rental car with all seasons on it from the White Horse airport.
    Stayed at the Eagle Plains hotel overnight, it was great and no flat tires.
    On the way up saw a guy off in the distance rolling a truck tire down the road, so when we got there I asked him what he was doing, he said I'm walking my spare tire. I said have a good day and drove off, but after 20 yards I backed the car up and asked if he need help, he said oh yes.
    So drove him back to the highway depot where they fixed his tire and back to his truck, him and his buddy were caribou hunting and his spare was flat.
    I asked him how long he's been living in the Yukon, he said moved up in the spring from Langley.
    I said that should teach you a lesson, I'm not sure if he is still up there, but I'm sure he has at least a couple good spares.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

We are leaving WL on Aug 19, so should be southbound out of Tuk by labour day and should put us in the fall colours. I run 10ply BF Goodrich TA's and bought a new matched spare, so from what I have seen I should be fine as far as tires.
    We are treating the fuel bill as the main cost as we are camping out of our truck, and other expenses should be minimal.

XPEIER

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    No we didn't, just went 113K up to show my wife the tundra and catch a glimpse of the Tombstone mountains.
    I've been as far as the Peel river crossing once, but unfortunately the ice bridge was to close to break up, so we turned around. If I get up there again it'll be in early September for the colors. Not that it isn't beautiful anytime.

Not sure what you're running for tires, but we went up with10 plys on my wife's 4 Runner and never had a worry about getting a flat. I had a couple flats on that road with 6 plys the first time I drove it, so wasn't gonna play that game again. Lol.

To get back to the original thread, the fuel bill was definitely worth it to see that country up there.