Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Goat gear question

Re: Goat gear question

Decent trekking poles, good boots, piranha knife, lightweight rifle with CDS, binoculars with built in range rinder, light weight crampons.... Anything else on the gear list someone wants to suggest?

Aside from basic gear add crampons. I have scared myself 3 times in the cliffs, twice hunting goats and once on an alpine muley hunt. Moving across steep snow slides would have been much easier with crampons. Rope could be helpful if you hunt with someone. If you are solo a good purchase point can be tough to find. The "danger" aspect certainly adds to the adventure though!

Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    I think much depends on where they are & if there's hunting pressure. There's a group of goats that hang out near Hwy 97 between Summerland & Penticton. Once in a while you can spot them fairly near the Hwy. No draw for hunting there that I'm aware of. Wildlife fences keep them from becoming road kill, unlike the sheep along the Hwy in the Rocky Mountain Trench around Invermere. The herds of sheep at the east entrance of Jasper Park are pretty tame too. The salt on the road is an attractant.

I put in for both sheep & goat LEH last year, but have come to the realization that I'm getting too long in the tooth, no longer fit enough for that kind of pursuit even if I was fortunate to luck out on the high odds for winning.
    It does look doable on the zoomed out picture, but it can be deceiving .
    I still think about going once more, but just like you I'm getting old too.
    Last edited by wildcatter; 06-13-2022 at 06:36 PM.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Good safe judgement.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

A life-size cape off a mature billy will completely fill a 70 l. pack
    Plan ahead how you are going to deal with that plus meat plus personal gear
    a cape well bundled in grain sacks with survive the big tumble retrieve better than a carcass
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    A life-size cape off a mature billy will completely fill a 70 l. pack
    Plan ahead how you are going to deal with that plus meat plus personal gear
    a cape well bundled in grain sacks with survive the big tumble retrieve better than a carcass
    Is full cape plus all meat plus all gear even possible solo? I just assume those packing full size capes are having buddy carry some of the weight.

My biggest mule deer was also my heaviest pack out. 55lbs meat. 45lbs all my gear. 10-12lb skull and rack. 8lb rifle. 120lb total. It was absolutely horrendous to carry and I think I estimated to be back at the truck at 7pm. I didn't reach it until almost midnight.

It was a big bodied buck (i weighed that meat bag when i got home!), but I don't think I could have traded that 12lb skull and rack for a full goat cape and added the extra weight/bulk on.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Is full cape plus all meat plus all gear even possible solo? I just assume those packing full size capes are having buddy carry some of the weight.

My biggest mule deer was also my heaviest pack out. 55lbs meat. 45lbs all my gear. 10-12lb skull and rack. 8lb rifle. 120lb total. It was absolutely horrendous to carry and I think I estimated to be back at the truck at 7pm. I didn't reach it until almost midnight.

It was a big bodied buck (i weighed that meat bag when i got home!), but I don't think I could have traded that 12lb skull and rack for a full goat cape and added the extra weight/bulk on.
    I’d say “no” assuming a wet cape on a late season goat. Three years ago buddy and I cut tags on two mature billies in late October in your typical goat country. I skinned my goat for a lifesize cape while partner took enough for a shoulder mount . . . we had all our gear with us deep up a valley. With all the deboned meat, capes and gear there was no way we could take it all in one trip. Buddy drew the short straw and did an extra trip while I rested from an all nighter solo with my billy on the side of the mountain. Them hides are heavy when wet!!!
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC

Happy mountain goat Monday! Can’t get these things off my mind lately.

pic sharing

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    Happy mountain goat Monday! Can’t get these things off my mind lately.

pic sharing
    Totally agree. Took family out to look for wildlife locally. Spotted a couple boars (black and Griz) and a mulie doe.

But I just kept looking up at rocky faces wishing I lived a little further north so we were in goat country. 1hr drive and we're into their habitat.

Goats are just so cool.

That’s a beautiful goat. Really hoping to get an leh this year