Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Goat gear question

Re: Goat gear question

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Is full cape plus all meat plus all gear even possible solo? I just assume those packing full size capes are having buddy carry some of the weight.
    Total load depends on the standard of meat utilization and how much is edible
    Complete deboned meat would be 60-70? lbs maybe?
    Does anyone pack goat ribs or neck?
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Still curious about what gear you take on a goat hunt? Knife types, bipod, tripod, spotting scope?

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeeater View Post
    Still curious about what gear you take on a goat hunt? Knife types, bipod, tripod, spotting scope?
    A few items to start off - Grohmann Standard Skinner, Outdoor Edge Razorlite, Swiss Army Pocket knife, #4 Scalpal with #22 blades. Harris 6-9” Swivel bipod, 10x42 Swaro binos, 20-60x65 Swaro Spotter, Uncle Mikes lightweight saw, BD Alpine Carbon Cork poles, crampons for late season, InReach, Beaner, 15’ of 3/8” Nylon Dock rope, 200’ of heavy nylon rope for late season, MSR Pocket Rocket stove and MSR Windburner stove (for winter hunt the MSR Dragonfly), zap straps, extra buckle for pack, first aid kit . . . as you can afford a good pair of mountaineering boots (La Sportivas), tent (Hilleberg) and pack (Kifaru). That said you don’t need all the latest and greatest gear to goat hunt successfully. A solid mind and fit body will play a bigger part in how you’ll do.
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC

I have a Grohmann standard Skinner. How do you like it? I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeeater View Post
    I have a Grohmann standard Skinner. How do you like it? I haven't had a chance to use it yet.
    It’s my second one (first one took a dive in the lake) and I really like the fit and feel. If I ever get a custom knife built I am thinking of going with a similar blade profile.
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC

I have most of the gear everyone has mentioned so far (different brands in some cases), which makes me feel better that I'm somewhat prepared. Just need to look into getting the crampons and figure out the rope issue.

you know what your talking about . if you need rope you shouldnt be goat hunting there in the first place. but thats up to you . of course some hard core guys who have experience rock climbing and sheep or goat hunting will be fine . but for the beginner stick to the most important rule , were is it going to land .. ?
    " Never tell me the Odds "

sometimes.

skin knifes. hacksaw binos and scope and tripod.. garbage bags for meat .. good pack . walking sticks . standing shot by the time you get the chance . dragging sticks with you is a pain . always look to make sure your goat lands on a nice spot with some snow or good gravel . not big rocks . when in dout dont shoot. there are lots of shooters out there and always next year . you will just ruin it if your too hot and heavy to drop one because its your first one . the horns dont take much to break off and scatter and they are impossible to find in the rocks .. ruining the hide is easy too . sometimes it doesnt go your way no matter what you try and do right , thats hunting