Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goat gear question

Goat gear question

I have a question about goat hunting Gear. What does everyone take with them? Not worried about backpacks or tents, more curious about knives, saws, ropes, climbing gear, etc? What types of things do you bring?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Goat gear question

use climbing gear as if your life depends on it, so best to know proper tchniques
    but I do take 50-100 ft of cheap braided poly to lower loads down ledges or cliffs, scrambling can be easier without a backpack
    late season calls for crampons and a painters suit
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Commenting to follow as I've probably should have used ropes in a couple siuations

I bring nowadays a set of those chain crampons, 50ft of light climbing rope and set of good quality trekking poles or an long ice axe. Goats can live (or die after the shot) in country that the average hunter (can’t or) shouldn’t go. Learning to assess the terrain and recovery route is key before ever taking the shot.

I take my son,,hes all the climbing gear I need right there,,lol

I wouldn't hunt a goat where climbing ropes are needed. There ain't no goat out there worth dying over.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I wouldn't hunt a goat where climbing ropes are needed. There ain't no goat out there worth dying over.
    I read this thread yesterday and have been thinking about it quite a bit and came to the same conclusion. Try your best to shoot them where you can recover, but it probably wouldn’t hurt to have some rope to tie yourself off in some questionable situations rather than braving some steep stuff without a rope.

My partner wanted me to climb this steep face a couple years ago and he was a bit disappointed when I said no. There was no relief and it would’ve been a long ways down if either of us took a tumble.

I have a question for you goat guys though. I’ve been hunting sheep for a few years now unsuccessful, but I’ve been within shooting range of goats a bunch of times. Are goats less spooky than sheep? The area where I hunt is rarely issued goat tags so I was wondering if the goats are just a bit more tame to humans and the sheep are more skeptical.

We spied a group of goats on a back country ski touring trip, quite a few years ago now. They were a good distance away on a ridge & perusing photos after the fact I could make out tracks in the snow that were close to where we skinned up. From the tracks to ridge top was a gnarly climb & they covered that ground toute de suite. For that reason I'd say they're very wary of humans. They would have heard, smelled or seen us coming when we were still well below them.

One of the chaps that's been a guide on many of our ski trips is also a climber. He related a story where a couple hunters paid him to retrieve a goat they had shot. It ended up on a ledge that was inaccessible to anyone but an experienced climber. Bryce got to it alright, but decided that it would be impossible to pack up solo. Ended up shoving it off the ledge, it was a long way down. There wasn't much left for the hunters once they recovered the remains after the tumble.

I guess the take away as some have already mentioned is, don't take the shot unless you're sure you can retrieve the animal, even if you're an experienced climber.

February 2012 on a ski touring trip in the Kootenays, southeast in the province, Kimberley area. South edge of the Purcell Mountain Wilderness Reserve. Zoomed in on the critters.

Naked eye view.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I have a question for you goat guys though. I’ve been hunting sheep for a few years now unsuccessful, but I’ve been within shooting range of goats a bunch of times. Are goats less spooky than sheep? The area where I hunt is rarely issued goat tags so I was wondering if the goats are just a bit more tame to humans and the sheep are more skeptical.
    I think much depends on where they are & if there's hunting pressure. There's a group of goats that hang out near Hwy 97 between Summerland & Penticton. Once in a while you can spot them fairly near the Hwy. No draw for hunting there that I'm aware of. Wildlife fences keep them from becoming road kill, unlike the sheep along the Hwy in the Rocky Mountain Trench around Invermere. The herds of sheep at the east entrance of Jasper Park are pretty tame too. The salt on the road is an attractant.

I put in for both sheep & goat LEH last year, but have come to the realization that I'm getting too long in the tooth, no longer fit enough for that kind of pursuit even if I was fortunate to luck out on the high odds for winning.