Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple sheep hunting questions.

A couple sheep hunting questions.

Hey all,
    Got super lucky and drew a Dall tag this year. Couple questions for you experienced guys. How do you remove the rack of ribs with just a knife? I’ve quartered a bunch of game and backpacked it out before but never removed ribs whole. If I’m lucky enough to get a ram I’m definitely wanting to cook the rims whole and eat them in the field.
    Side note, any marinades or spices you recommend?
    thanks and good luck on your hunts this year.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: A couple sheep hunting questions.

I’ve bashed them off with sharp rocks.

But subsequent trips I added a tiny little bone saw that is smaller and lighter than a havalon. Pretty much only good for ribs, but definitely worth carrying that 3 ounces to me.

There is always a container of Montreal Steak spice in my cook kit, goes well with ptarmigan too.

One thing to consider is there may not be trees to find wood in that country. Lots of buck brush but big trees may be limited depending where you go.

if you don’t have a saw to remove ribs cutting bigger wood is a moot point.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    I’ve bashed them off with sharp rocks.

But subsequent trips I added a tiny little bone saw that is smaller and lighter than a havalon. Pretty much only good for ribs, but definitely worth carrying that 3 ounces to me.

There is always a container of Montreal Steak spice in my cook kit, goes well with ptarmigan too.
    Hey, thanks for the tip, at that weight I’d think it’s a no brainer to bring the saw. Do you know offhand who makes your saw?

Quote Originally Posted by Cabled;[URL="tel:2344301"
    2344301[/URL]]Hey, thanks for the tip, at that weight I’d think it’s a no brainer to bring the saw. Do you know offhand who makes your saw?
    I have a little Gerber saw with a T handle. Blade is about 2in long. Great for ribs and opening the brisket. It has a rounded safety tip to prevent poking guts and to prevent the blade from coming out of the cut when sawing fast.

One question I have is has anyone used one of those pocket saws in their pack? You know the kind, a central length of cable or saw blade with a couple of loops for fingers or sticks/handles at the end?

Another option is always a folding garden/utility type saw. Blade folds into the handle long enough to get through legs, necks, logs up to 6-8in. They don’t weigh much and they aren’t really expensive and don’t take up much space.
    Last edited by Jereky; 06-11-2022 at 09:24 PM.

Just a leatherman saw will do

Uncle Mikes lightweight double sided saw (coarse and fine). I’ve used the same saw for the last 25 years and it never leaves the pack. Aside from the standard uses of bucking horns off, cutting wood, ribs, etc it also works well to cut chain (to get the spare tire off) and to cook meat on an open fire. One day I’ll have to get it sharpened . . .
    Last edited by BCbillies; 06-11-2022 at 02:00 PM.
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC

I've used this on several mtn goats ribs.

Rib bones aren't hard like a leg bone

Limited-time deal: General Tools 858 PVC Pipe Cable Saw https://a.co/d/99azEAQ

they come off with a knife
    pre-mix 'italian' is a good seasoning, so is 'greek'
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC