Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .22 mag vs .22lr vs .17hmr

Re: .22 mag vs .22lr vs .17hmr

Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob View Post
    You are mule deer hunting and spike camping too boot. Forget shooting grouse and hare. Save that for different hunts. Concentrate on the mule deer.

bhb
    Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post

Agree with Bob . . . concentrate on Mule deer.

​.22lr . . . . does the job, available.

I get where you guys are coming from. But to be honest my sept hunts are mostly grouse focused and 4pts come later, I am out deer hunting but take a fair amount of grouse with my .308 because I simply love grouse meat and find them a nice way to come home with something.

i dont plan on packing it in november but I pass up too many with the .308 because of the boom factor. I packed my savage .22 and it worked with subsonics, just want a dedicated setup with a bit more “reach”.

I can always count on grouse and hare at my region 3 spots where as 4pts are few and far between…..
    Nothin better then the great outdoors!

I’ve shot every grouse with my cz 22lr never skips a beat, I personally prefer iron sights over a scope when shooting them, sights works a bit better for me sometimes I have troubles finding them in the scope when they’re in some thick stuff

What's that saying?
    A bird in the hand is better than 2 deer in the bush......no, that's not it .

oh well a bird in the pan is better than tag soup.

Unless I was planning on shooting grouse at 50 or more yards I would stick with a 22LR.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    22 Mag more knock down power in case of a Bear Attack RJ

Aguila 60 gr
    Pocket rocket with a 500gr steely. Cheap ammo at any dollarama. Free ammo along any gravel road if you're not picky.

22 is plenty good.

I like the 22mag myself
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

I'm with ghost. I pack the little badger lr 22 also. I have a red dot on it and shoot the 500ft fps quiets. Sounds like something spitting when I shoot. I still see the same amount of game but have more fun shooting those big fat grouse in the sub alpine. I enjoy the all day hikes so much more since I started carrying it and eating fresh grouse on a stick over a lunchtime fire .
    5stars!
    Hunting the promised land

17 HMR is overkill on grouse unless you are shooting a looooong way, which is almost never the case with grouse. Stick with .22 LR. I have a Henry SGC (small game carbine) which comes with Skinner sights. It’s an awesome little gun.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

If you go .17 check out the 17 WSM, I bought a used Ruger 77 in that cartridge, 20g bullet @ 3000fps, whack coyotes over 200 yards with authority. Kills grouse too, lol

Hey Dakota, I've heard of that .17wsm...was mulling it over for turkey hunting. Is it accurate in your Ruger 77 and is ammo easy to find?
    It'd have to be really accurate with it's speed for grouse, head shots ONLY!
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!