Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caribou hunt north of Dease Lake

Re: Caribou hunt north of Dease Lake

I’m hoping that the big dollar carrot (mineral extraction), blinds them enough that our hunting slips through the cracks!
    Heavy on the hoping!

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post

Thanks Nog!
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    you mean to say one can book a lake and there is a wait list?
    Is a list posted or something?
    20 yrs ago, we would drive up to dease or tattoga, with no flight booked. About 300 in fuel to get to dease and back, truck and camper. And my first fly-in was 700 in and out split three ways in a turbo prop beaver.
    Then along came the internet, and forums, Facebook, etc, to let out the actual cheapness of a fly in. (Not so cheap anymore)
    “Most” charter/outfit companies won’t stack hunters on a smaller lake, but if you have access to a private plane pick a lake and go. The month of September is super busy for chartering moose/ caribou hunters.

Yes we also hunted Dease 25 yrs ago,Gnat Pass, One Ace Mountain and the Dease River on Boat, wished we would have looked at a fly in back then can't imagine what the price will be in the next couple years.With whats going on in the north east of B,C the west will be getting very busy.

Yes it was a lot cheaper when we started flying in out of Dease in the mid 1980's . I found some old invoices in a camera bag the other day. However they had a Beaver, Otter and sometimes a 185 then. The parking lot was full and even then the better lakes booked up early. What was great was we would fly- in in the Beaver then out in the Otter. Way cheaper than 2 Beaver flights. We usually flew in on Sept.15 th and out before October. Seemed to be a lot of the same faces every year at the same time. Now a days my wife and myself can fly to Europe and back for less than it costs to fly into my favorite Caribou Hunting Lake. Each year that I get older the decision to pick Europe gets easier.

My first fly-in hunt was a sheep hunt in 03 or 04. We flew from Atlin and the cost for the beaver was $1000 round trip. Split between 4 guys. Seems like it was almost free looking back now.