Thread: Saving the Whales? Capture and fishy business in the Department of Fisheries and Ocea

Thumbs down Saving the Whales? Capture and fishy business in the Department of Fisheries and Ocea

Opinion: Saving the Whales? Capture and fishy business in the Department of Fisheries and Oceans

On April 29, 2022, under the pretence of protecting the southern resident killer whales (SRKW), the federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) announced additional closures to the already severely restricted recreational salmon fishery in southern B.C.
    The problem is, these measures may actually hurt the SRKW rather than help. Why? Because the recreational fishery is demonstrably not the problem.

But, science, data and expert testimony never stopped the DFO from enacting bad policy.

Sadly, the losers in this ill-conceived publicity stunt are not only SRKWs and recreational fishers.
    In fact, everything and everyone that depends on healthy salmon populations suffers — including the very credibility and standing of the DFO itself.

Welcome to the post-truth world of fisheries and wildlife management.

Similarly, the most recent DFO closure of the recreational fishery shows a concerning influence of the powerful ENGO lobby. Rather than fulfilling their public mandate by taking meaningful, science-based measures to address the salmon and SRKW issue, DFO continually opts to placate the often unfounded, yet always well-funded ENGO demands.

The Parliamentary Standing Committee on Fisheries and Oceans is currently hearing testimony from various fisheries-related sectors. Despite the often conflicting interests represented, a common and growing refrain calls for the complete elimination and re-structuring of the entire agency.

https://www.squamishchief.com/opinio...oceans-5433901
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Saving the Whales? Capture and fishy business in the Department of Fisheries and

Sorry for my ignorance but who or what is ENGO?
    Ad for a complete revamp of the DFO, it sounds good and I agree.
    What worries me, if it was restructured, who is going to do that and who will then have the most say?
    That wasn’t really a question, as I am pretty sure I know who is going to have the majority of the day if it did happen.
    At the end of the day, I am pretty confident the sport fishing industry will still be on the bottom of the dog pile and still taking it in the ass!
    Hope I am wrong as I think the sports fishing community shows up the most in efforts of continued conservation, a healthier population and for all future generations.

Re: Saving the Whales? Capture and fishy business in the Department of Fisheries and

Only if George Carlin was still with us: "Save the trees, save the bees, save the whales, save those snails" haha
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Arrow Re: Saving the Whales? Capture and fishy business in the Department of Fisheries and

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Sorry for my ignorance but who or what is ENGO?
    Environmental Non Government Organization.
    Common reference term for the anti's groups.

Cheers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Thanks Nog