Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Problem bear in camp last night.

Re: Problem bear in camp last night.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Good on you working with what you got and good on your boy for spotting the trouble.

Can you just got back and cut a tag on it in legal light?

Glad all is well minus the tent.
    I messaged a few guys who had bear tags, but nobody was interested in spring garbage bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I messaged a few guys who had bear tags, but nobody was interested in spring garbage bear.
    Tags are cheap and no rule about having to consume the meat, just a public service. Sounds like it could prevent someone from harm. CO might take care of that too based off the description.

Is that true? I thought as much meat as possible was required to be harvested from any general open season species which require tags like black bears. Or is this situation different as this specific bear is a known problem bear and hunters with tags are allowed to hunt it without harvesting it?

Quote Originally Posted by VI_Jay View Post
    Is that true? I thought as much meat as possible was required to be harvested from any general open season species which require tags like black bears. Or is this situation different as this specific bear is a known problem bear and hunters with tags are allowed to hunt it without harvesting it?
    You do need to take the meat to your home or to a butcher, but no rule as to what happens to it after that, so it leaves some options open for this type of situation (problem trash bear most would not want to consume) You could toss it, but I'd wager you could find someone who would take it for dog food.

According to the article above. Shoot em between the eyeball and the ear, or up the nose. If they’re that close

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    According to the article above. Shoot em between the eyeball and the ear, or up the nose. If they’re that close
    If you've ever held a bleached bear skull up to a bright light, you'll notice that the bone is much thinner a few inches above the eyes, especially right or left of center. Something to keep in mind if you are ever forced to press a 22 into action to defend your own hide.

I got a call from a neighbour\friend one morning long ago, he had found out another neighbour a couple houses down had a bear trying to break into his porch. The only gun he had was a 22 auto and long rifle shells. He let him have it from about 3 feet away and then emptied the clip full at his head. This happened about three in the morning. I grabbed a shotgun and slugs and we started following the blood trail. about 7. There was drops of blood about every 2" and they were pretty much in a straight line for at least 3\4 mile where we found him stone dead. Only one bullet hole was found as i skinned him out. Directly middle between the eye and ear hole and only about half way into his brain. Im thinking he could have done plenty of damage if he'd tried. I like the shotgun route much better. And a big thank you for sharing your story

I used to never worry about bears, but in the last 5 years, I have had a friend have issues twice with a cougar stalking his camp at night, and once a black bear.
    all 3 times he shot a shotgun into the air.
    He did that with the bear 3 times, before he decided to sleep in his truck
    the one cougar left after the second shot

the other cougar never left, so again he slept in the truck.

Now when camping, I have both bear spray and either a 12 Guage or rifle with me.

My buddy grew up a boy scout and keeps a spotlessly clean camp.

In your case, the bear may have been close enough for a blast of bearspray to send it packing.

If my truck moves, so does the 45/70, if my quad moves sodoes the 45/70,,,that bear needed killing right there and then

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Quote Originally Posted by hunterdon View Post
    For several years now, when tenting it out, I simply set up an electric fence around the tent. Easily done and I sleep much better. If and when a bear or anything else for that matter touches that wire, they're gone!
    Probably the best solution for a goods night sleep, done it myself but still keep a adequate Gun handy with full Mag just in case.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !