Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Problem bear in camp last night.

Re: Problem bear in camp last night.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    You did everything right except bringing a hare gun to a bear fight.
    X2 On this one for sure. Very glad that you and your boys made it out ok and with good memories in tact. Sambucca around the campfire is great as is '' The camp xhotgun'' - Both must haves lol
    RESIDENT HUNTER-"SUCK IT UP PRINCESS!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    Lol, I love sambuca, especially in the backcountry, but I get the same response from most people until they give it a try. When I consider everything in for weight, alcohol content amd being able to drink it warm without mix it’s the best I can find. I don’t mind fireball or schnapps once in a while too.
    I like sambuca and a good home made pear, or apricot schnapps, but can't stand that crap fireball.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

As I’m sitting here reflecting I thought I’d throw something out that really worked and came natural without me thinking about it. I had these 100 packs of mini-mags and every time I wanted to fill the mag I moved the lid over and dumped ten rounds in my hand. When the bullets were all in than I knew the mag was full. It’s something simple and sped up my reloads with one less thing to worry about and for some reason I was automatically counting rounds as I was pulling the trigger.

I use the same technique when I’m pouring primers out onto my loading tray.

wow I think you need a shotgun

Arrow Re: Problem bear in camp last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8 white hunter View Post
    I think maybe you should pack a shotgun aswell.
    Especially with the kids in tow. The rabbit rifle is at best an uncertain deterrent if push comes to shove...

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    Pretty freaky. That bear is for sure going to continue to be a problem.
    Absolutely for certain. Hopefully he decides to try on the CO's and gets what he has coming.

I am relieved to hear you got away scott clean & safe!
    Especially so with your lads!
    You got lucky.
    It could have quite easily gone a much different route.
    Hope that you will contemplate packing a bigger hammer next time around...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by hunterdon View Post
    For several years now, when tenting it out, I simply set up an electric fence around the tent. Easily done and I sleep much better. If and when a bear or anything else for that matter touches that wire, they're gone!

Above! Posted it a few years ago. If I was tenting in bear country nowadays!

Lived in a tent year-round in the remote Yukon wilderness while surveying in the 60's. Always carried a mag. revolver for bear protection within easy reach but never had to use it.
    We also had rifles in the tents.
    One night a FN guy shot a wolverine that was trying to enter the campsite.
    There were plenty of bears in the area but they avoided us.
    Worked not that far away from where Valérie Thé​orêt, 37, and her daughter were both killed by a grizzly in the Yukon (Nov. 27, 2018 ) -they had no protection.

BTW-good to hear that no one was hurt -the bear must be caught ASAP & destroyed!
    Nowadays the 45-70 loaded with 540 gr Garret's is within easy reach when camping in bear country.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

I spend quite a bit of time in a wall tent every year hunting. I always have a hunting rifle, or my camp rifle, 444 marlin in the tent. That would have been a dispatched bear in any of my camps. A rule I have always followed in the wilderness is, I will give the bear a couple opportunities to leave, but if it doesn't leave after the first 2, the third strike is it's death! I have only ever had to kill 1 black bear in self defense, they usually get the picture! Glad this all worked out well for you guys. These are memories your little ones will remember for ever! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Get a cut down 30-30 and youl still be able to shoot the head off a grouse or a 30yd black bear

Good on you working with what you got and good on your boy for spotting the trouble.

Can you just got back and cut a tag on it in legal light?

Glad all is well minus the tent.

Quote Originally Posted by Rezpatrol View Post
    Get a cut down 30-30 and youl still be able to shoot the head off a grouse or a 30yd black bear

Here’s a huge grizz shot by a single shot 0.22 in 1953
    https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/bel...#axzz7UjXwKpnS

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein