Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Problem bear in camp last night.

Re: Problem bear in camp last night.

Bears like that have to be eliminated. Even with your 22, shoot to the head and then empty your clip.

I have an issue with the narrative. You clearly state you were “enjoying” sambuca! I don’t think that’s possible, is it?

Kidding aside, glad it all worked out for you. An interesting encounter for sure. I carry either my .44 Mag or 12 gauge shorty on non-hunting campouts like that. A 10-22 is not ideal for unplanned events like that. Great for daylight plinking, but not so much for nocturnal visitors.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    One more thing as I’m reflecting on my bear preparedness in the backcountry. I’m pretty happy with the way I keep my camp. My philosophy is to leave my food bear accessible, but not easy to get at. If I hang my food in a tree with a bear bell attached than I’m likely to wake up before he gets it and when I’m packing a cooler I tend to put it up on a picnic table and stack something heavy that would make a pile of noise when tipped over. And the golden rule of absolutely nothing scented in the tent, ever, non-negotiable.
    I agree with you on the last sentence especially...

Glad you and your boys are OK...hope you can repair the Luxe, I have one they're a lot of fun.. I had to shoot and kill a prob bear once that was being super aggressive, it gets the blood going ...

You did everything right except bringing a hare gun to a bear fight.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    You did everything right except bringing a hare gun to a bear fight.
    Searching for the “like” button…
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Was really hoping to read that after the bears second approach, that you dumped a mag full in his face. That bear will continue to be a hazard to other people it comes in contact with.
    Sorry to hear that your camp out was cut short by a predatory type bear and your gear was tore up, that sucks. Really glad you and your boys are unscathed though, that's the most important.

A scary situation to be in, especially with your boys in camp with you. We've had to shoot a couple of black bears over the years but they were all during the day, glad to hear you all got away without any injuries.

Lots of people can sew that tent back together.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    I have an issue with the narrative. You clearly state you were “enjoying” sambuca! I don’t think that’s possible, is it?

Kidding aside, glad it all worked out for you. An interesting encounter for sure. I carry either my .44 Mag or 12 gauge shorty on non-hunting campouts like that. A 10-22 is not ideal for unplanned events like that. Great for daylight plinking, but not so much for nocturnal visitors.
    Lol, I love sambuca, especially in the backcountry, but I get the same response from most people until they give it a try. When I consider everything in for weight, alcohol content amd being able to drink it warm without mix it’s the best I can find. I don’t mind fireball or schnapps once in a while too.

For several years now, when tenting it out, I simply set up an electric fence around the tent. Easily done and I sleep much better. If and when a bear or anything else for that matter touches that wire, they're gone!
    Always EXPECT the UNEXPECTED!