Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Problem bear in camp last night.

Re: Problem bear in camp last night.

^^^I too when tent camping sleep with the rifle with loaded mag in (no round in chamber), and I have the pack alarm I set up whenever I'm backpack camping, especially in grizzly country..

FYI…….Where I live in the elk valley there are a bunch of trees wrapped in barb wire, which is used to collect hair samples from bears. The area where all the samples are taken is part of a 144sq km area. These hair samples have shown that there is 85 sows and 64 boars( grizzlies ) that rub on these trees. Keep in mind that not every bear will rub on these trees……and that they use some kind of a liquid attractant that they spray all over the trees. This attractant smells just like black liquorice( Sambuca )

Glad you are all safe.

Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    FYI…….Where I live in the elk valley there are a bunch of trees wrapped in barb wire, which is used to collect hair samples from bears. The area where all the samples are taken is part of a 144sq km area. These hair samples have shown that there is 85 sows and 64 boars( grizzlies ) that rub on these trees. Keep in mind that not every bear will rub on these trees……and that they use some kind of a liquid attractant that they spray all over the trees. This attractant smells just like black liquorice( Sambuca )
    Uh-oh. I’d better switch up my favourite beverage.

That is what is referred to as a “predatory black bear”. There are two ways to see a black bear; 1. It’s booking it for the next county the moment you start making noise and 2. It is eyeing you on it’s dinner plate. You stand a better chance with a grizzly.
    There was a thread started by Brambles many moons ago about his and his hunting buddy years ago routed by a grizzly in the middle of the night. Screw the tent. Build a lean-to and sleep with your head out to the fire and feet in the narrow end. Wear socks in case you have to bail.. And a defender style of shotgun with SLUGS!
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    Uh-oh. I’d better switch up my favourite beverage.
    The key is to remember that wild animals are afraid of fire...the solution is to drink "Flaming Sambucas".

I suspect however, that the scent used is Anise.
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

heheh...i just got a text yesterday from my buddy who was jogging on Burnaby Mountain ...he cam around a corner on the trail and stopped within 2 feet of a big black bear...i guess i will have to mountain bike up there with my defender now...heheheheh...same buddy who watched a bobcat in robert burnaby park successfully catch a squirrel and even got a pic of it with the squirrel in its mouth

The early elk (6pt) - sheep season in the Flathead was always interesting with more than a few G-bears around. Always slept fully clothed with boots on, and sleeping bag un-zipped. Loaded rifle close.

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredguy View Post
    The key is to remember that wild animals are afraid of fire...the solution is to drink "Flaming Sambucas".

I suspect however, that the scent used is Anise.
    im not sure what the name of the scent but it smelled like black liquorice.

Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    im not sure what the name of the scent but it smelled like black liquorice.
    Yes, Anise smells like black licorice. Bears like it and it is a spray that is often used in places that allow hunters to bait for black bear.
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.