Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Problem bear in camp last night.

Problem bear in camp last night.

I was out with my two boys (7 and 13) at a backcountry quad accessible spot about 25 km from my truck. We set up camp and toured around a bit until later in the night. We had dinner around 8pm and played a few games around the fire. I sent my little guy to bed at 10:55 while me and the oldest stayed up for a bit more to let my youngest get to sleep. I was enjoying a sambuca and we were chatting across from each other when he looks at me and calmly says “dad, bear”

I look behind me and there’s a black bear inside 30 yards from me and it’s just twilight where I can see his outline but nothing else. I stood up, faced the bear, kicked some dirt at him and started yelling to try and scare him off. It didn’t phase him, so I told the kid to grab my 10/22 and ammo out of the tent and I already had a loaded mag in my pocket. I fired a couple rounds in the air to scare him off, but no response from him so I fired a few more really close to his head to his left and above him. This got him moving a bit and he ran off into the trees.

Now I looked at my kid and started discussing our options as town is 3 hours away and I wasn’t really rattled, I figured the bear was gone for the night. We talked about grabbing a bit of our gear and driving up the road 5-6 km and sleeping there and then I turned my head and caught the bears eyes light up in my headlamp about 75 yards out. I fired 4-5 more shots close to him again with no response so I emptied the mag again to get him moving.

A few more minutes go by and here a weird noise on the other side of our camp. It sounded similar to a fuel drum expanding and making a dong sound. The first time I heard it didn’t concern me because I hear all kinds of weird noises in the woods that are unexplainable, but after the third one I realized he was in my tub trailer pulling out the full can of gas that was in there. I grabbed a pocket full of .22 shells and moved towards my tub trailer u til I saw eyes again and fired off a bunch more shells.

By this time I realize it’s time to grab the kids and go so I gave the rifle to my oldest and told him to keep turning his head looking for eyes and shoot anything that comes close. I grabbed the littlest one out of the tent, started both quads and pointed the lights opposite each other. I made one more trip to my tent, loaded up my most valuable belongings in my pack sack, through our food tote and cooler on my quad rack and we were outta there.

Something I’m unsure of is the smell that engulfed us just before we left. It was definitely stinky garbage bear smell, but I couldn’t smell it earlier so I’m wondering if he had circled around us again and was very close or it just took a bit of time to make it our way.

This is what my tent looked like today when I went to get it. He just ripped a giant hole in the side, poked his head in to look around and left it alone. There was zero food or anything with a scent in there, just clothes and sleeping gear. The only thing I can think is he was either looking to eat one of us, or he went into someone else’s tent at some point and found their food so he knew where to look. Either way I’m happy I wasn’t in there when that happened. So im out a gas can, a 40 pack of bottled water and a brand new luxe mega horn that’s never been slept in.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Problem bear in camp last night.

It started out as a good day. We saw this guy earlier on in the day in a different location.

And this was the last pic before the drama started.

And the luxe, pre bear attack.

The boys said they still had fun even though we had to drive home in the middle of the night.

Glad your all safe that’s the most important thing.

That bear sounds dangerous. Possibly a town garage bear relocated.

SSS…

I think maybe you should pack a shotgun aswell. Glad your all ok.

Quote Originally Posted by rageous View Post
    Glad your all safe that’s the most important thing.

That bear sounds dangerous. Possibly a town garage bear relocated.

SSS…
    It definitely seems like a cross between habituated town bear who wasn’t afraid of humans and very hungry willing to do whatever it had to eat. I’ve seen many town bears that couldn’t be bothered by dogs or bear bangers, but they were nowhere near this aggressive.

Pretty freaky. That bear is for sure going to continue to be a problem.

At close range a 22LR to the head will kill a bear. Not ideal but sometimes you gotta run what you brung.

Glad everyone is okay.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

x2 the shotgun!!!

I brought my 870 tactical with me today to reclaim my property. I’m a bit of a minimalist so I tend to not bring much that I don’t need and bears don’t really concern me too much.

I did speak with conservation today and they told me I was well within my rights to shoot the bear and not worry about legal problems. They’re making a trip out here tomorrow to either destroy it or put up some “problem bear” signs.

One more thing as I’m reflecting on my bear preparedness in the backcountry. I’m pretty happy with the way I keep my camp. My philosophy is to leave my food bear accessible, but not easy to get at. If I hang my food in a tree with a bear bell attached than I’m likely to wake up before he gets it and when I’m packing a cooler I tend to put it up on a picnic table and stack something heavy that would make a pile of noise when tipped over. And the golden rule of absolutely nothing scented in the tent, ever, non-negotiable.