Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 7mm-08

Re: 7mm-08

I absolutely love this caliber. I have a Winchester extreme weather that I lengthened the free bore on to allow loading longer bullets without impacting powder capacity. I have a load developed for a 160gr Partition that’s at about 2700 fps with sub MOA accuracy. Deadly on moose and bears so far. I have played around with the 120 TTSX with promising results too.

Every time I take this gun out I ask my self why do I still have a 300wsm sitting in the safe? Will I ever use it again?

I will second the 120 ttsx load.My son shoots it very good results .

I aquired a 2nd 7-08 for this year. A dedicated rifle for the teen. My wife shoots a 7-08.

I have had great success shooting the 150 gr hornady eldx, with deer and moose. Going to be using the 145 gr LRX this year for them. Both shooting sub moa out to 550 yrds.

Quote Originally Posted by wallz View Post
    I aquired a 2nd 7-08 for this year. A dedicated rifle for the teen. My wife shoots a 7-08.

I have had great success shooting the 150 gr hornady eldx, with deer and moose. Going to be using the 145 gr LRX this year for them. Both shooting sub moa out to 550 yrds.
    Two questions: Which make/model(s) do you have, and why don’t YOU shoot 7-08 since you have obviously found success with it?
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

It’s a good caliber, and just like the 270, the reduced recoil makes it a great choice for many folks as they will shoot better because of that.
    Premium bullets, and I like accubonds, but then again, someone mentioned their lack of supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Two questions: Which make/model(s) do you have, and why don’t YOU shoot 7-08 since you have obviously found success with it?
    I acquired a kimber Adirondack for the wife, few years back. Small, compact, and light. I have been known to take it and use it on occasion. The teens started using it as well.

I traded my fierce down to a savage 116 in 7mm-08, so my teenage son has a dedicated "own" rifle, so I could set it up for him to shoot. Cheaper rifle so it can take a bit of abuse that the teens put it through and not bat an eye. It has turned out to be quite accurate, and he has been shooting it out to 550 yrds now.

Yea, I down traded the fierce. It was in 300 WM, and was going to be too much gun for the teenagers. I had a custom built on the defiance anti action in 6.5 PRC, sitting in an XLR magnesium chassis for myself. So I upgraded optics and rifle for myself, and was able to fill a gap for the teens. was looking for the 7-08 specifically as I already new its capabilities, and now reloading, so it makes my life a little easier with less calibers to source components for.

I bought a Winchester XPR Compact in 708 a couple of years back and I love it,,, it is short, light and great for tight spots that I hunt. The caliber is fine (the shooter not so much), but when I do hit them they go down right away. I have not tried it on larger game such as Elk or Moose (no seasons) and will stick to my 3006 for moose just to be certain.
    Ammo, like all ammo right now is tough to find. If you find one you like and can get lots of it, but it now and stock up. I have had to order from all over Canada to get what I wanted.

XPEIER

Quote Originally Posted by wallz View Post

What brand model 7-08s Are you Shooting ? Getting sub MOA groups at up to and 550 yards is pretty FANTASTIC for a hunting rifle ?

Also what brand - type ammo or reloads do you use ? Please Share ! Thxs. RJ

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    What brand model 7-08s Are you Shooting ? Getting sub MOA groups at up to and 550 yards is pretty FANTASTIC for a hunting rifle ?

Also what brand - type ammo or reloads do you use ? Please Share ! Thxs. RJ

Like all recipes, this is working for me and you should check to your rifle, yada, yada disclaimer.

RL16 charge @ 42.2 gr, 145 LRX bullet, CCI 250 primers, in Lapua brass. My cartridge to ogive length is 2.3000 set with my instruments.

I guess I got really lucky, that they are both shooting the same reloads with very close to the same accuracy. Considering the savage is with a longer barrel, I still hit both harmonics with the same charge. Me, I prefer the kimber, as I really do not enjoy the savage accu-triggers.

Rifle info is in post above.

Awesome caliber! 120ttsx !