Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7mm-08

7mm-08

I picked up a new Ruger 7mm-08 mainly to get my 13 year old grandson into deer hunting. He has shot a .22 semi automatic and a .22/410 over and under. He is deadly with the .22. I’ll be using it as well. Put a Leupold scope on it I had. Took it out and sighted it in so all good there.

Any pointers anyone has on using this calibre, factory ammo, shot placement etc. mainly for deer and also on moose if a LEH tag is ever received. Thanks for any replies.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 7mm-08

stick with premium bullets (partitions, accubonds, GMX, TTSX, E-Tip, CX) you'll be fine.

Just make sure he gets some trigger time.

I use 140gr accubonds for ungulates up to the size of moose, put it in the lung heart area they are done.

Quote Originally Posted by john-brennan View Post
    I use 140gr accubonds for ungulates up to the size of moose, put it in the lung heart area they are done.
    x2 for the Accubonds

My hunting partner picked up a 7-08 a couple of seasons ago. He’s impressed with it. He took a bull elk at 260 yards last season with 140gr Nosler Accubonds.
    I think it is a very versatile cartridge.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

It’s a 7mm. Just like a 7mm Rem Mag. Less powder, sure, but also way easier to shoot accurately due to the almost irrelevant recoil. At most “normal” ranges it is a parallel to .308 for energy. There is no reason to question its ability to take any game we have in BC given practical ranges. I know guys that take big bulls out to 400 yards with their 7-08. I limit myself to 250-300 yards, but that’s true with any caliber as I don’t get enough practice with any of my guns to be confident past that range.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

My Sako 85 SS 7-08 is my favourite, my "go to" rifle. I have two loads for it ,,,,my original is 120 gr. TTSX with 43.5 grains of Varget. Deadly accurate and 2900 fps. Have shot at least a dozen and half deer and one moose with that load,,, no follow up shot needed on any of them. I'm developing a 139 gr. Barnes LRX load right now for it that I expect big things from for 300+ yd. shots.
    He's NOT your buddy, buddy!

I shoot 140g ttsx out of my 7mm08 and its my primary hunting rifle for everything (deer, elk, bear, hopefully bou or moose this year). My best friends daughter shoots 120g ttsx out of hers.( he uses a a She has killed bears and deer with hers, no issue.

Ive also shot a couple deer with hornady american whitetail factory ammo, worked just fine. I only shoot for heart/lungs. I actually reload the hornady interlock bullets as my plinking ammo. They are cheap, shoot well and not hard to find
    Last edited by Ron.C; 05-27-2022 at 06:36 AM.

Most underrated caliber there is. 120 gr. TTSX for bears, moose, deer, everything. It's a devastating little round.
    I like guns and I like boobs. But I do NOT like boobs with guns!

If you’re reloading look at Barnes 139gr LRX. Nechako has them in stock right now (act fast). You won’t find 140gr Accubond anywhere for awhile

SB