Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best magnification binos?

Best magnification binos?

What magnification binos are you guys running in the mountains? My wife wants to get me some binos for my birthday. I have a decent spotter if I have to take a closer look at something so these will be just for quick looks and covering big areas.

Ive looked through some Leupold bx4 10x42 before and I think I’d go with those from anything else I’ve looked through in that price range. I’m just wondering if there’s any value in going 8x32 or 10x32 12x50.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Best magnification binos?

I use some meostar 10x50’s. I can hand hand hold them abit. But best on a tripod or sitting with elbows on knees.
    iv always thought a really good pair of 8 or 8.5x, would be the best for hanging around your neck and glassing off hand, but everyone seems to go with 10x42.

I've run a set of 8.5x42's for almost twenty years...Best compromise between field of view and magnification, plus they allow more light in then a 10x bino.

'rifle
    Nearly all people can stand adversity, but if you want to test a person's character, give them power.

10x40+ is my preference in good quality, 50mm in more economy models. I have a 10x50 a kid broke on me, I cut the bad side off. It’s what I use the most. I’ve been looking at 15ish monos lately.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

If you have a spotter then you have a tripod. I'd go 10x's. I liked 8s but I sold them and I'd only go back to an 8x32.

I have a 11x45 that I can hand hold decently well and they are great at off the tripod.

Really depends on the intended use.

I like my 8x42s for field of view and not being so shaky offhand and for short glassing sessions not too far distances, but if l spent more time in open country with a tripod then 10s or 12s would probably be my choice. all depends on hunting style.

Lots of guys swear by 8X but I prefer 10x. I can hold them steady and if you practice a bit from various positions it's easy. I don't think I would go higher than 10x though. After that I'll use a spotter. I wouldn't feel handicapped by 8x though.
    Last edited by Gateholio; 05-25-2022 at 09:13 PM.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

IMO - Timber hunting 8 x, slash / general hunting 10 x, distance glassing 12 x

Don't go higher than 10x unless you plan to use them on a tripod. Chances are you won't hold them steady enough to get any decent field use out of them.

I run 10x42. I think it’s a great all around for the mountains. Good for long distance if you can keep steady, and not too much for brushy close conditions. I just got a tripod mount and it really opens up the capabilities with that perfect steadiness. I use them from coastal rainforest black tails to turkey to sub alpine open country. Not disappointed yet.

my buddy runs 12x50 but personally I think it’s too shaky and unstable to freehold. You can do it, but it’s really more of a tripod glass.

I also have a chest harness, so the binos feel like free weight: out of the way and despite the mass just doesn’t seem to contribute to my total pack weight. If you get bigger glass it will weigh more. 10x42 is perfectly in the middle. 10x50 is heavier but better in low light. 12x magnification and more you are looking at some serious glass weight. Having said that I think most midrange binos are so good now that they have great performance without breaking the bank.