Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Elk..... or, Moose?

Re: Elk..... or, Moose?

Quote Originally Posted by Linksman313 View Post
    I would say elk rubs as well, maybe a single bachelor?, herd rubs i have found in my region are completely thrashed no trees untouched in a 20ft or so area.
    Great find and i would say camera time
    i will mention that my spring cams are full of bachelors and underage bulls, come hunting season - crickets
    big animals move a long distance fast, a suggestion for success is ranging this rub with all the other factors Elk need (water/seclusion/food/access to mating areas) somewhere in the middle you will find "the spot"
    Good luck sir, this is a great start
    I got one cam up already that I will be checking weekend after next not at the major rubbing sites but I have 3 cams in total for this area so will be putting at least one up there.

There are two large areas here with literally no access at all, they both have lots of water, one has north and south facing slopes. I started to go in there last weekend but there was still snow on the way in and it was very loud trying to sneak through there didn't want to spook everything. But not much was left an with the way it was melting I figure weekend after next it will be gone and I am going to head in there see what I find and put cams up.

When you say mating areas just a secluded place where they do the do every year sort of thing? flat I am guessing lol

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    I have gotten great advice from this site, and especially one good man in particular. I have also bought and read 3 books. One question I have is when they go up as the snow melts and the higher quality feed starts to grow in the spring are they generally at that height in the rut when the season is on?

I know they will travel lots daily in elevation for food and water and then back up to bedding areas, I was told and read they generally will go down at night and feed etc and go up in the morning to bed higher.

Also I really appreciate the feedback guys!
    Hey no prob...elevation wise they can be anywhere as long as they have their basic needs covered as per the post above...my partner and I harvested a 6 pt last year in the sub alpine...

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Okay, I thought there was just the two main times they rubbed, to get rid of the velvet and the rut.

I may be wrong here but the velvet rubbing is more gentle and tickling like, whereas the rut is when they really impart scent from the forehead gland and beef up the neck muscles and really wreck the trees?
    A lot of observations are geographic location dependent. The routine of animals can be a bit different in different areas of the province. I agree with your comment damage to trees in rubbing off the velvet is different than the angry frustration of a bull coming into the rut. In my experience (the areas I hunt), bulls disappear between Aug 10th and reappear with antlers cleaned off around Aug 20th. Summer range.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Hey no prob...elevation wise they can be anywhere as long as they have their basic needs covered as per the post above...my partner and I harvested a 6 pt last year in the sub alpine...
    Okay got it, congrats by the way I seen the pics of the Bull when I first started going on this site, nice!