Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elk..... or, Moose?

Hybrid View

Elk..... or, Moose?

Started scouting this weekend, and will be going back every second weekend and learning as much about the land, and finding the sign, and maybe even catching a glimpse, as I am able to before opening to zero in on the few spots in the larger area that I think I may be able to make something happen.

I was wondering what your guys take on these rubs are, if you guys can tell if they are Elk or Moose, there are also WT and MD here but I hear the Deer go lower before the rut(MD anyway), but may not be accurate. Anyhow some of these rubs are much to large to be Deer. On this one sidehill in particular as you will see whatever this is is ATTACKING the Birch/Aspen(not sure which trees they are).

I know Elk tines are sharp and Moose dull, I don't have much experience differntiating the two in terms of their sign (rubs/scat/tracks) I have only been a Deer hunter up until this year.

All last years, found some ones from the year before and previous years, some don't look that tall in the photos but some were as tall or taller than me and I am 6'3.

Also the scat I have found I am sure there are both Elk and Moose, Elk seems to be more shorter and rounder and more of a teardrop shape with dimple? Where as most of the Moose scat I have found over the years tend to be like the shape of the tip of my inner middle finger
    Last edited by TheObserver; 05-23-2022 at 09:30 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Elk..... or, Moose?

And this track? I think it's Elk not Moose not sure though. If anybody could weigh in it would be greatly appreciated!

You are correct on the general description of the scat but, I have seen moose for example have scat that looks like that of elk, because of how much water was in their forage at the time...proven by trail cams...

Also, whitetails will generally rut lower in elevation than MD, but it's not always the case..

Based on the pics, the habitat looks more like elk preferred habitat ? I'd hang a cam or two to confirm..

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    You are correct on the general description of the scat but, I have seen moose for example have scat that looks like that of elk, because of how much water was in their forage at the time...proven by trail cams...

Also, whitetails will generally rut lower in elevation than MD, but it's not always the case..

Based on the pics, the habitat looks more like elk preferred habitat ? I'd hang a cam or two to confirm..
    I thought so, I seen my first confirmed Elk scat this year at a BT spot because no Moose only Rosie Elk and BT are there. That makes sense! also sometimes it is kind of clumped together I guess when certain food/conditions make it that way with Deer and Elk.

That is what I am after so I hope so! first time going up there and I was able to locate some pretty good stuff so hopefully it keeps getting better as I get up there more and work harder at it, I put one cam up a little further up the valley with a trail heading down a ridge with what I think was Elk poo, so fresh it was wet and smelled! piles like that all over this sidehill. Not as many rubs though, But I will put up a cam where I found all these rubs.

Whatever has been thrashing those trees he has been doing it in the same spot for several years or other Bulls have been.

First time using cams this year, I can't believe I am just finding these now they are SO cool man! hahah love using them!

Cams are fun for sure...is this in an area with an elk GOS? Generally with elk, not only is habitat key, but getting away from pressure is important, so if it's an area away from roads you could be in business...learn the gutless method if you haven't already..

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Cams are fun for sure...is this in an area with an elk GOS? Generally with elk, not only is habitat key, but getting away from pressure is important, so if it's an area away from roads you could be in business...learn the gutless method if you haven't already..
    Are they ever! Yes GO (hopefully still that way when the bloody regs come out!) There is area there that has no roads and is hard to access, I have seen videos on it but will study it now, thanks!

You're welcome, good luck!

Track is elk.

going out on a limb, I'd say elk rubs
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC