Thread: Budget Spotting Scopes: Vortex Diamondback vs Leupold SX-2 vs Nikon Prostaff

Budget Spotting Scopes: Vortex Diamondback vs Leupold SX-2 vs Nikon Prostaff

I’m in the market for a budget spotting scope for this years hunting season. I’m not looking to break the bank so I’m wondering if anyone has experience with any of the above mentioned scopes and which they would suggest? I don’t need anything that can see out to a kilometre but it would be nice to get a rough idea on tine count in the 500ish+ yards range. I know the consensus is to always save and pay more for quality but that just isn’t an option for me this year due to some medical bills for my pup.
    Thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Budget Spotting Scopes: Vortex Diamondback vs Leupold SX-2 vs Nikon Prostaff

I hear ya. There was a time not so long ago where I was just not able to spend big money on hunting gear and had to make due with lesser quality gear.

I had a Diamondback. Worked well enough for us to sex goats from about 1km saving us allot of climbing. A billy is on my best friends wall thanks to that scope.

We were also easliy able to count points on elk at about the same range.

Good luck with your pup!!!!
    Last edited by Ron.C; 05-22-2022 at 07:59 PM.

Re: Budget Spotting Scopes: Vortex Diamondback vs Leupold SX-2 vs Nikon Prostaff

Theres a razor for sale on alberta outdoors, not on your list but may want to have a look over there.

I have a diamondback and it works great.

I'd not touch NIKON with a barge pole. Great optics but the worst warranty bar none. My Monarch Binos needed a new eye cup, a $20 part. Not covered under the 25 yr warranty but they'd give me a great deal on a new pair.

Nonetheless. I just passed my diamondback onto my son and have been shopping for a replacement spotter. I wanted GOOD but not expensive. I did all the online reviews and bought an Athlon Ares. Wolverine supply is the only dealer in Canada but didn't have any in March when I bought mine so I used Cameraland in NY. They were great. Landed with tax I spent $1200 but you can save some money if you get the 65mm objective. I got the 85mm. Old eyes need it!!

I was looking at the Leup SX-4 FWIW my Atlon is rated much better and was near $600 cheaper!

https://athlonoptics.com/product-cat...otting-scopes/
    Last edited by Steeleco; 05-23-2022 at 06:29 AM.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Steeleco, did the Nikon promise not apply ?
    "If your Nikon Binocular, Spotting Scope or Fieldscope requires service or repair not covered by our 25-Year Limited Warranty, Nikon will repair or replace it (even if it was your fault) for just $10, plus return shipping and handling."

Plus I would try Mystic Precision in B.C. for Athlon products
    Last edited by high horse Hal; 05-23-2022 at 07:55 AM.
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

They LIE, three calls on three different days. same answer. Even asked them to send the eye cup I'd do it myself. NEVER again. My binos were only 8 years old. I fixed them with 5 "O rings" and loctite. Now they never slip down.

But I digress, This was about what to buy what not to buy LOL
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!