Finally a response from my local MLA.

"However, our government is making changes to hunting regulations in some parts of the Province to advance reconciliation and improve wildlife stewardship partnerships with First Nations. For the next two years, to lower the number of hunters in the area, and reduce the number of moose harvested by 50 percent, moose hunting will be restricted to Limited Entry Hunting in the Peace, with a full closure Oct. 1-15, during the mating season. For a one-year period, in the Liard and Northeast Rockies regions of the Province, moose hunting will still be permitted in remote and un-roaded areas and not restricted by Limited Entry Hunting. However, moose hunting will not be permitted in these areas in the month of August and from Oct 1-15 during the mating season.

Our BC Government acknowledges that the changes may have an impact on both guide outfitters and resident hunters, but we will be investing in wildlife management and habitat restoration for the next two years to build collaboration and support healthy moose populations for everyone’s benefit.
We’re deeply committed to advancing reconciliation in B.C. – guided by the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, the Declaration Act, and with meaningful consultation and cooperation with Indigenous Peoples. As part of that consultation and engagement, we will continue to work with First Nations on wildlife management decisions that affect their territory.

The hunting regulation changes are a two-year interim measure and only one part of a broader package of actions designed to improve wildlife stewardship, uphold Treaty rights, and enhance habitat conservation. These amended hunting regulations are aimed at addressing the ability of First Nations to continue their way of life and begin to address the impacts of industrial development of the rights guaranteed and as confirmed in the Supreme Court of BC decision Yahey vs. BC (June 29, 2021). The work that our government did is following through on this decision that the Supreme Court of BC made.

I know that you had more specific questions about how the data would be used and I will follow up with you on that when I receive more details."