Thread: DFO going rogue again for 2022?

DFO going rogue again for 2022?

In 2021 DFO fisheries managers went rogue, ignoring the fisheries minister’s announcement of sweeping closures.

"And in 2022, it appears we can expect more of the same. 2022 is the dominant year for several of the 23 Fraser sockeye populations.
    Managers have already said they intend to open the fishery in 2022, even though many Fraser sockeye populations are forecast to return well below target,
    and some have been classified as ‘endangered.’ It is unclear what DFO intends to do in regards to the many other fisheries the minister slated for closure in 2021.

So, here we are facing a fishing season with a mixed bag of returns and a department as yet unwilling to reduce impacts on salmon and steelhead populations
    that are expected to return below their biological targets, monitor fisheries for compliance, or embrace the minister’s commitments to closures for conservation purposes.

Unless the minister is willing to make sure DFO’s regional managers fall in line, I predict mostly business as usual for B.C.’s fisheries, with a few tweaks, lots of positive press releases and announcements, but little relief for struggling wild salmon populations."

Watershed Watch is currently engaged, on behalf of the Pacific Marine Conservation Caucus, in discussions with DFO to encourage them to implement the minister’s commitments.

https://watershedwatch.ca/greg-taylo...eid=a1e77eff14
    Last edited by high horse Hal; 05-19-2022 at 07:49 AM.
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

2. Site Sponsor

Re: DFO going rogue again for 2022?

I hear you.
    Only way I see yo change it and for the future is a huge lawsuit.
    Dont know who would pay or who all the players would be, other then the defender side would consist of the Feds and some fn (might not be all of them) vs everyone else.
    In Supreme Court, I think plaintiffs would win.
    But the years to do so!!??
    I don’t see it changing otherwise.
    Or again, we end up with a few true outdoor sportsman enthusiasts that run for political leadership.
    Only 2 ways anymore.
    Alliances and coalitions and groups is ineffective to bring on change.
    Dont get me wrong, they are necessary pieces, but it won’t be enough.
    Lawsuit or political… period