Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time Bears and Butcher

First time Bears and Butcher

Hey everyone, I'm heading out to region 3 in about a week, this is my first time ever hunting black bear and have been researching and listening to a million books and podcasts on the topic and feeling good. I'm curious if anyone has tips for me after the shot with quartering if I am successful on my hunt. I think my plan is to take it to Ron at Mission Meats but he has been relatively unhelpful with my questions about pricing, available slots and it there's anything in the field I can do to improve or keep the quality of the meat up.
    I guess two questions.

1 Does anyone have tips for a bear newb on skinning, quartering and storing meat

2 Does anyone have experience with Mission Meats? Google reviews seem good and I'm local. But open to suggestions if anyone has had pepperoni and sausage done somewhere nearby.

Thanks, much appreciated

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First time Bears and Butcher

are you looking at getting it rugged?
    are you going to get it all done in pepperoni and sausage?

same as any other meat...gut in the field, bring to camp to hang up to keep it clean for skinning..the less you hack it up in the field the less dirty meat to cut off later but if you have to debone it you will have lots of meat exposed to potential contamination so keep everything clean as possible..cool it ASAP after killing!!!...wash the body cavity out with lots of water when it is still fresh to get any guts or blood off (and it will cool it a bit too)..do not get it wet again after that...don't touch the skinned animal with dirty or bloody hands. that way you get good quality meat

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    are you looking at getting it rugged?
    are you going to get it all done in pepperoni and sausage?
    Most will be done this way, will probably get some ground and some for stewing. I've got quite a few recipes but I love pepperoni and sasauge

I'll be skinning it for a rug in the future yes

Appreciate it! The meat quality is the most important thing to me. I will have a rug done later but we are mainly hunting for the meat. The camp I'm staying at refuses to let hunters hang animals in spring due to other guests and their opinions on hunting so will probably drive back to the butcher asap

Pretty much the same as a deer, just more fur.

It's not a bad idea to decide before hand which method you want to go with, traditional, gutless + bone in, gutless + bone out.

We don't keep hides, so we usually make pretty quick work of it and skin only what is necessary as we go along. Our way is probably a tad strange to most, bit of a mix, but after years of experimenting with several bears, I prefer to just to remove the front and rear quarters with the hide still on, making sure to keep a nut attached to one of the rear quarters, hang the quarters up by the paws, next skin around the neck, just enough to slice around the neck meat and remove it as a whole. Then we skin down one side from the spine down just passed the ribs, cut out the backstrap, then remove the rib meat using rib roll method (you will want to Youtube this to see how it's done... once you know it, it's super easy and useful) roll carcass over and repeat on the other side. After that, I remove the hide from the hanging quarters. Depending on the pack out scenario, we either debone the quarters or not, then lastly detach the quarters from the paws and off we go.

Do be prepared for flies. They can get pretty nasty and swarm especially on a hot day. Our "skin as you go" method goes a long way to prevent flies from getting at the meat and with the help of game bags, it's pretty much a non issue. A 50/50 vinegar/water solution (and I think black pepper?) is said help keep them away, but we haven't tried that one

We usually don't keep the skulls these days (have some good ones already) but if we do, it's easy enough to detach quite effortlessly just with a little knife work.

As for cooling, it all depends, we generally have a cooler with a couple frozen water jugs (4L ones like milk jugs or the ones you'd buy distilled water in) If there's a nice and cold creek flowing by and if feasible sometimes we put the game bags in doubled up heavy duty garbage bags and leave it for an hour or two. Gotta be careful though, to make sure nothing is going to puncture through the bags as introducing creek water isn't ideal. Rubbermaid container is safer and works great if you have a creek around camp. Generally if we get a bear during the day we just head home same day. If it's in the evening, temps this time of year are usually not too bad. 7 degrees or less, we've just left the meat outside in a rubbermaid cracked open a bit to vent. Edit: Just read your note about not being able to hang anything in camp. A big cooler with a few 4L frozen jugs is probably the best option next to racing off to the butcher.

Not sure about the butcher stuff. We just take it straight home and grind it all.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 05-18-2022 at 12:27 PM.

Good advice here. On the hide the easiest thing is to freeze it until you get a deal sorted out with a tanner or taxidermy guy. If you can't get it to a freezer that day or maybe the next you can buy yourself some time by rubbing the inside of the hide down well with coarse salt. Whatever you do lay it out flat over a log or something fur side down as soon as you skin it to get it cooled down sap. Don't roll it up right away and stick it in the truck or decay could start in short order
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Pretty much the same as a deer, just more fur.

It's not a bad idea to decide before hand which method you want to go with, traditional, gutless + bone in, gutless + bone out.

We don't keep hides, so we usually make pretty quick work of it and skin only what is necessary as we go along. Our way is probably a tad strange to most, bit of a mix, but after years of experimenting with several bears, I prefer to just to remove the front and rear quarters with the hide still on, making sure to keep a nut attached to one of the rear quarters, hang the quarters up by the paws, next skin around the neck, just enough to slice around the neck meat and remove it as a whole. Then we skin down one side from the spine down just passed the ribs, cut out the backstrap, then remove the rib meat using rib roll method (you will want to Youtube this to see how it's done... once you know it, it's super easy and useful) roll carcass over and repeat on the other side. After that, I remove the hide from the hanging quarters. Depending on the pack out scenario, we either debone the quarters or not, then lastly detach the quarters from the paws and off we go.

Do be prepared for flies. They can get pretty nasty and swarm especially on a hot day. Our "skin as you go" method goes a long way to prevent flies from getting at the meat and with the help of game bags, it's pretty much a non issue. A 50/50 vinegar/water solution (and I think black pepper?) is said help keep them away, but we haven't tried that one

We usually don't keep the skulls these days (have some good ones already) but if we do, it's easy enough to detach quite effortlessly just with a little knife work.

As for cooling, it all depends, we generally have a cooler with a couple frozen water jugs (4L ones like milk jugs or the ones you'd buy distilled water in) If there's a nice and cold creek flowing by and if feasible sometimes we put the game bags in doubled up heavy duty garbage bags and leave it for an hour or two. Gotta be careful though, to make sure nothing is going to puncture through the bags as introducing creek water isn't ideal. Rubbermaid container is safer and works great if you have a creek around camp. Generally if we get a bear during the day we just head home same day. If it's in the evening, temps this time of year are usually not too bad. 7 degrees or less, we've just left the meat outside in a rubbermaid cracked open a bit to vent. Edit: Just read your note about not being able to hang anything in camp. A big cooler with a few 4L frozen jugs is probably the best option next to racing off to the butcher.

Not sure about the butcher stuff. We just take it straight home and grind it all.
    Awesome! Yeah I heard the frozen jug method on a podcast and figured it would be better than ice bags that could melt out and get water on the meat. Thanks for the long response, I'll definitely check out that method on YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Good advice here. On the hide the easiest thing is to freeze it until you get a deal sorted out with a tanner or taxidermy guy. If you can't get it to a freezer that day or maybe the next you can buy yourself some time by rubbing the inside of the hide down well with coarse salt. Whatever you do lay it out flat over a log or something fur side down as soon as you skin it to get it cooled down sap. Don't roll it up right away and stick it in the truck or decay could start in short order
    I have a deep freeze back at home with space, I'm probably going to try and flesh it as much as I can before popping it in the freezer. I've got a buddy who just did a bison hide as well so I may have some help

Quote Originally Posted by CabinDweller View Post
    Awesome! Yeah I heard the frozen jug method on a podcast and figured it would be better than ice bags that could melt out and get water on the meat. Thanks for the long response, I'll definitely check out that method on YouTube
    Those refillable water jugs you can buy at the grocery store we find to be the most beefy (more so than a regular milk jug) They do crack eventually which I am not sure is just "luck of the draw" versus being frozen X number of times. We usually have 2 or 3 of them and find we have to replace one every 10 trips or so. When they do crack, it's generally during the freezing process and the crack is usually obvious, so a quick inspection before putting them in the cooler goes a long way. If you do end up with one leaking, these things don't melt particularly fast either, so you'll just notice a tiny bit of water and have plenty of time to do something about it (twist it up nice and tight in a garbage bag then tie it off) ... anyway, sure beats regular ice and a heck of a lot cheaper.

Cashier always gives us a weird look when we buy those jugs. Normally people are filling them up in the store and buying the water which is the whole point. Since we're just after the container we don't fill it up. Every single time... "This is empty. Did you forget to fill it up?" haha

Here's a good video on the rib roll method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIDkLman-FE
    Last edited by caddisguy; 05-18-2022 at 12:49 PM.