Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ticks and scumbags, Princeton/surrounding area

Re: Ticks and scumbags, Princeton/surrounding area

Sorry to hear all this. I am glad your father is doing all good considering.

Try to remember, there is 100x more good out there in the bush than there are wreckless or with bad intent.

Try to stay positive and see all the good out there. Had some negative encounters and totally understand the stain from an ordeal like that but just remember there's way more positive than negative out there.

If feasible just leave the vehicle tucked away on a spur, leave a couple camp chairs and a stove around. The naughty types (if any roll up by chance) just see a camp and figure you aren't too far and might be watching.

Ticks in Princeton not sure, never stomped around there. Fraser Valley is probably the worst deal for that, I can pick up 20 in a 5 minute walk. Just tuck your pants into your socks, shirt into your pants, check your legs once every 5 mins, move brush out of the way if possible vs letting it rub you.... you'll bust 99% of ticks that way, pick them off with your fingies and give them a dose of BIC lighter flame. They'll die well before the flame burns you. If any borrow in, gentle work with needle nose tweezers pulls them out in tact. Once they're out, light em up (never burn one that is attached to you though, that's a good way to get infected with the badness) Probably slayed thousands of those little buggers and been bit 100+ times before I got wise (most detected early) and I'm still alright.

If you are wearing camo or black or whatever, you can give your clothes a once over with a lint roller at the end of the day, turn inside out and repeat, or just strip down, toss the clothes in a garbage bag outside the sleeping quarters and deal with it next day. That's how we roll.

caddisgirl for whatever reason picks up less hitch hikers than I do, takes all the same precautions but ended up with one in her undies last trip... a bit close for comfort on that one... died with extra prejudice haha

What you don't want is a tick attached to you for more than 48 hours (ideally 24) because that's when their digestion process involves regurgitation back into you which is how some get infected with the bad stuff (along with dumb stuff like burning them while attached or putting Vaseline over it, or any other silly remedies aside from clean plucking) Stay vigilant but just like bad peeps, stay cool and don't let ticks keep you from living the good life.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 05-17-2022 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    Damnit, I shoulda kept my mouth shut, now there'll be another "604" chasing our game.
    Gain 1 but lost 2. Price of gas and the house got sold. Will be stalking from time to time, but not every weekend LOL Besides there's no animals there. Only on long weekends!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Sorry to hear all this. I am glad your father is doing all good considering.

Try to remember, there is 100x more good out there in the bush than there are wreckless or with bad intent.

Try to stay positive and see all the good out there. Had some negative encounters and totally understand the stain from an ordeal like that but just remember there's way more positive than negative out there.

If feasible just leave the vehicle tucked away on a spur, leave a couple camp chairs and a stove around. The naughty types (if any roll up by chance) just see a camp and figure you aren't too far and might be watching.

Ticks in Princeton not sure, never stomped around there. Fraser Valley is probably the worst deal for that, I can pick up 20 in a 5 minute walk. Just tuck your pants into your socks, shirt into your pants, check your legs once every 5 mins, move brush out of the way if possible vs letting it rub you.... you'll bust 99% of ticks that way, pick them off with your fingies and give them a dose of BIC lighter flame. They'll die well before the flame burns you. If any borrow in, gentle work with needle nose tweezers pulls them out in tact. Once they're out, light em up (never burn one that is attached to you though, that's a good way to get infected with the badness) Probably slayed thousands of those little buggers and been bit 100+ times before I got wise (most detected early) and I'm still alright.

If you are wearing camo or black or whatever, you can give your clothes a once over with a lint roller at the end of the day, turn inside out and repeat, or just strip down, toss the clothes in a garbage bag outside the sleeping quarters and deal with it next day. That's how we roll.

caddisgirl for whatever reason picks up less hitch hikers than I do, takes all the same precautions but ended up with one in her undies last trip... a bit close for comfort on that one... died with extra prejudice haha

What you don't want is a tick attached to you for more than 48 hours (ideally 24) because that's when their digestion process involves regurgitation back into you which is how some get infected with the bad stuff (along with dumb stuff like burning them while attached or putting Vaseline over it, or any other silly remedies aside from clean plucking) Stay vigilant but just like bad peeps, stay cool and don't let ticks keep you from living the good life.
    Thanks!

For sure most people are decent and helpful!

Yeah i've heard that recently, never would have thought Fraser Valley/coast would be bad for ticks only really started hunting down here last season though but lived down here since born and never ran into one. I always tuck the pants and shirts in.

Last month up around Cache Creek I pulled one off my neck. I'm not sure if I caught him biting or if he was already in I was driving and just pulled him off knew what it was as soon as I touched it, then the next day hiking another one in exact same spot.

Lint roller is a great idea!! Never thought of that

Hahahaha no doubt!!

If one is embedded how about heating up a pin and poking its but and they back out?

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    Gain 1 but lost 2. Price of gas and the house got sold. Will be stalking from time to time, but not every weekend LOL Besides there's no animals there. Only on long weekends!!
    Yup, place is crawling with animals on the Long Weekends, alas they all have 2 legs.
    With the floods and fires of last year it's going to be an interesting year for hunting. As you are likely aware some of the FSR's were hit pretty bad, the KVR is kaput and we are waiting for the Spring Flood to see how that affects things.
    Lots of deer running around and there was a nice cinnamon bear frolicking in Town yesterday.
    Some logging late last year has opened up a nice area near Town, might be a nice spot for White Tail - it's well within my "I only travel 10 km or less to hunt" philosophy.

Observer ! That’s a hell of thing to happen to your Dad ! Some peoples behaviour is really deplorable , where the hell are their morals !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    If one is embedded how about heating up a pin and poking its but and they back out?
    I'd say no go on that one. From all I have read the consensus seems to be that anything that would make a tick back out (heat, trauma, suffocation, etc) will cause it to regurgitate back into you which is where the real risk comes in.

Careful removal with needle nose tweezers is my go to. There are also little tools (google tick key) that are pretty good, but they tend not to work on small males or nymph stage ticks. Overall probably actually safer than tweezers as it takes the risk out of squeezing the tick which is bad and an easy mistake to make. Probably worth picking up some such tool. If it works great, if not, revert to tweezers.

One thing I'll add is that newer studies and medical practices have incorporated freezing compounds similar to some wart removal products for tick removal. The idea is that it kills the tick instantly by freezing and that regurgitation does not occur and makes removal easier. It's said to be the safest way to remove a tick and seems to be the new standard. Here's one such product, not sure if you can find it in Canada though:

https://www.arctickspray.com/ (YouTube demo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wg8fuYoccw)

I do believe one of these wart gizmos could be easily adapted to achieve the same result, but I don't recommend making yourself a guinea pig. Save that kind of thing for me lol

https://www.amazon.ca/Compound-Advan.../dp/B00SD9IEQM
    Last edited by caddisguy; 05-18-2022 at 09:52 AM.

if you have a little bit of finger nail remove them like a sliver pinching well below the surface of your skin and well below the depth of its mouthparts while not squeezing the body at all.. every night before bed is full inspection and a second set of eyes for under the pits and in the hair is good...

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Observer ! That’s a hell of thing to happen to your Dad ! Some peoples behaviour is really deplorable , where the hell are their morals !
    Arctic Lake
    Yeah for a lot of the world morals seem to be becoming a thing of the past

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    I'd say no go on that one. From all I have read the consensus seems to be that anything that would make a tick back out (heat, trauma, suffocation, etc) will cause it to regurgitate back into you which is where the real risk comes in.

Careful removal with needle nose tweezers is my go to. There are also little tools (google tick key) that are pretty good, but they tend not to work on small males or nymph stage ticks. Overall probably actually safer than tweezers as it takes the risk out of squeezing the tick which is bad and an easy mistake to make. Probably worth picking up some such tool. If it works great, if not, revert to tweezers.

One thing I'll add is that newer studies and medical practices have incorporated freezing compounds similar to some wart removal products for tick removal. The idea is that it kills the tick instantly by freezing and that regurgitation does not occur and makes removal easier. It's said to be the safest way to remove a tick and seems to be the new standard. Here's one such product, not sure if you can find it in Canada though:

https://www.arctickspray.com/ (YouTube demo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wg8fuYoccw)

I do believe one of these wart gizmos could be easily adapted to achieve the same result, but I don't recommend making yourself a guinea pig. Save that kind of thing for me lol

https://www.amazon.ca/Compound-Advan.../dp/B00SD9IEQM
    Okay, what is the risk of breaking the head off would it just be a general infection at that point or could you get the diseases from that too?

I'll put some needle nose and a mirror in the pack for this weekend.

I have heard of this also but have not looked into it, hahaha well if you do experiment let us know! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Okay, what is the risk of breaking the head off would it just be a general infection at that point or could you get the diseases from that too?

I'll put some needle nose and a mirror in the pack for this weekend.

I have heard of this also but have not looked into it, hahaha well if you do experiment let us know! Lol
    I'd wager breaking off the head is a crap shoot as far as borrelia burgdorferi exposure is concerned. I've only had that happen once removing a tick from my brothers arm. I'd never seen a tick stuck so bad lol. I remember lifting it up with the tweezers and it was pulling the skin up with it. Tried everything, twisting, different angles, etc. Nope she's hooked in there pretty good.. I'm like "dang, you're whole arm's gonna have to go man"

We decided to go full bush surgery on his arm, digging it (and surrounding area) out while rubbing it raw with isopropyl alcohol. When all was said and done, he had a pretty good hole in his arm. To be on the safe side, got him to go to a doctor to see if antibiotics would be a good idea (and they did) I thought the doctor was gonna say we were a couple of dumbasses but apparently she admired my work hahah (tho I'm not sure if that says more about her or me)

Hopefully wasn't TMI or anyone grossed out stopped reading already