Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Marlin 1895 Trapper 45/70 - now taking deposits!

Re: Marlin 1895 Trapper 45/70 - now taking deposits!

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    What’s the difference between the Henry and marlin? Whats notably better than the other?
    If you didn’t see / fire the two side by side, you honestly probably would be happy with both the Henry is a nice rifle. The factory sights on the Henry left a lot to be desired, the loading port was rough and harder to unload and the lever is much “grittier” on the reload than the marlins and the Marlin can wear any number of muzzle devices which is very appreciated with hot loaded 45-70

then the most fun part, the huge after market support for the 1895 line, rangerpoint makes amazing stuff, muzzle brakes, skeleton stocks, mlock foreends you name it and you can mod it with the Marlin.

out of the 3 new marlins IMO the trapper is the best/nicest, followed by the SBL and then the GBL, it doesn’t have the deepest dark blueing and I do not like the hooded sight what so ever on it.

both are made in USA, one is 500-1000$ cheaper than the other depending where you got it, I believe I paid 1349 for the Henry when I picked it up in Williams lake.

Re: Marlin 1895 Trapper 45/70 - now taking deposits!

I have seen retail on the new rugers just over $1800 plus the taxes. If you find one out of other provinces it is only 5% taxes and not 12% as in BC. Pays for shipping and saves some.

The henry X model that I have in 44 mag has been excellent, with no issues. I wouldn't say better or worse than the new marlins. The open sights on it were accurate to 100 m from the box, and it now wears a 2-7x33 vx freedom, and I can still use the factory sights under the mounted scope, if I ever need to.

The trapper, (16.5" version) that I was shooting on the new ruger has the skinner sights, factory, but that has to come off to get a rail on it for scope mounting. A new skinner sight, that would allow the sight and scope mount runs about $200 US, so that was a no go.
    Granted I was loading the 300 gr 45/70 hot, and running it good, by the felt recoil, and the factory ammo I bought to set the scope on it was manageable compared to the loaded hot rounds. I still personally enjoy the 44 mag over the 45-70, and overall it will be cheaper to run, reload.
    I did pick up a second ruger 45-70 that landed just after christmas, as I was trying hard to convince myself to go that route, but decided to sell it, unused. Only took 5 days, as everyone wants one right now and no one wants to wait for them.

They have a bunch of pre-buys already on some sights of the expected next shipment. Our local store did get 3 in, and had them sold before even opening the boxes. You can easy get your name on one of the next round coming in.

The henry X models also have a large after market of different parts available, stocks, muzzle brakes, its all out there. The X model has the threaded barrel, side gate, removable magazine rod to empty it, load it. Something the ruger doesn't have.

All that said, the grey wood stock, stainless combo of the new marlin's are nice, and they function nicely. If it is a 45-70 you want you will not be disappointed by one.