Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best way to deal with/convert anti-hunter

Hybrid View

Best way to deal with/convert anti-hunter

Not sure where the better place to put this is, here or on open chat.

Anyways what are some of the best ways/talking points to bring up and debate or win over anti's or people who are unsure/on the fence

Dealing with one right now haha
    Last edited by TheObserver; 05-13-2022 at 07:23 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Best way to deal with/convert anti-hunter

I would say that it depends on what angle their issues are stemming from.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron0518 View Post
    This one in particular is a very overly emotional young woman who has been severely mislead on both Hunting and nutrition from Animals.

But I was asking more for in general but how would you take that one on?

Thinks killing is mean, underlying tone of animal life is worth more than human life, knows about gmo and the dangers of the gmo feed and conditions the animals are kept in and the drugs/hormones/antibiotics but that (my health) takes a back seat.

Thinks there is nothing wrong with a buddy of mine who is a vegan that has to rely on a cabinet full of expensive pills/powders and supplements because he refuses to eat an animal or anything that came from it.
    Last edited by TheObserver; 05-13-2022 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    This one in particular is a very overly emotional young woman who has been severely mislead on both Hunting and nutrition from Animals.

But I was asking more for in general but how would you take that one on?

Thinks killing is mean, underlying tone of animal life is worth more than human life, knows about gmo and the dangers of the gmo feed and conditions the animals are kept in and the drugs/hormones/antibiotics but that (my health) takes a back seat.

Thinks there is nothing wrong with a buddy of mine who is a vegan that has to rely on a cabinet full of expensive pills/powders and supplements because he refuses to eat an animal or anything that came from it.
    Id be willing to bet if you did a "deep dive" into the contents of those pills, powders etc, you would find animal biproducts somewhere

not for the vegans...they are fanatics...did you know that there is vegan dental floss.....it means no bees wax on it...as vegans believe bees are enslaved to make products like honey or bees wax (funny how they seem to draw the line at eating food pollenated by bees as I imagine that would include most food!)
    Quote Originally Posted by .330 Dakota View Post
    Id be willing to bet if you did a "deep dive" into the contents of those pills, powders etc, you would find animal biproducts somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by .330 Dakota View Post
    Wouldn't doubt it!!

Quote Originally Posted by cameron0518 View Post
    Exactly. I've run into anti gun folks, found taking a few of them shooting at the range or the bush is a start, then go from there.
    When I started hunting, relatively later in life, Daughter was anti hunting, she worked with animals in her profession. After I shot my first deer I called her to tell her and she asked "Did it die quickly?" to which I answered, quite honestly that it did. She said "that's OK then." A week later she and Son in Law were over for dinner, served venison stew and they loved it. Eventually, got him into hunting and she's totally fine with it.
    Daughter worked with a lot of Peta folks in her occupation, chatted with one of them at Daughter's wedding. Hunting came up and I thought I was going to get attacked but she said "the E in Peta stands for Ethical and it sounds like you are an ethical hunter." She'll never hunt but she doesn't rail against it.
    Attended an anti Grizzly hunt presentation in Hope, great presentation then I "identified" as a hunter. Stayed polite, is spite of some pretty rude remarks, explained my position. One Lady went off about how brutal it was, you know, the poor animal and such. I asked her if she ate chicken and of course she did. I calmly explained to her that the bears that get shot enjoyed a far better life than the chickens she ate and died a lot "nicer" too. We became friends, she appreciated the explanations and such, never hunted but had a better appreciation for it.
    We used to take deer jerkey to our dog's agility classes, hand it out to the dog owners, always well appreciated. Nobody complained about the "poor deer". One guy didn't give the jerkey to his dog, he ate it, said it was too good to feed the dog. I'd say he wasn't an "anti."
    Remember, you won't "win" by arguing, simply state the facts, stay calm and respectful.

I think sharing a meal is a great way to go. Shawn Riley and Göran Ericsson have studied attitudes towards hunting quite a bit in Sweden and the US and found sharing harvested meat with non hunters increased acceptance. Sharing meals is one of humanity's oldest traditions so it makes sense this is hardwired into our social makeup. People get to see the other side not portrayed in anti-hunting media - the work, the food, the gratitude, the connection to the animal through the food. And once they've experienced it as food, it's hard to argue from a sustainability or welfare standpoint that you'd be better off eating a cow from a feedlot.

Arrow Re: Best way to deal with/convert anti-hunter

Quote Originally Posted by GuloGal View Post
    I think sharing a meal is a great way to go. Shawn Riley and Göran Ericsson have studied attitudes towards hunting quite a bit in Sweden and the US and found sharing harvested meat with non hunters increased acceptance. Sharing meals is one of humanity's oldest traditions so it makes sense this is hardwired into our social makeup. People get to see the other side not portrayed in anti-hunting media - the work, the food, the gratitude, the connection to the animal through the food. And once they've experienced it as food, it's hard to argue from a sustainability or welfare standpoint that you'd be better off eating a cow from a feedlot.
    BINGO!!
    This is an easy sell to the fence sitters, or those only mildly apposed.
    I have done this a lot in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    If they eat meat, it's easy. You prefer to source your meat from free range organic sources while having minimal impact on the environment. They do the same thing you do but pay someone else to kill for them.
    Meshes with the above. Include the conversation of just how much habitat is taken out / forever disrupted to produce their (insert meat of choice here) while noting our way it remains as Nature intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    Remember, you won't "win" by arguing, simply state the facts, stay calm and respectful.
    Yep.
    During one of the anti-grizz hunts rallies in Vic, Foxey & I attended.
    Pretty obvious what and who we were wearing our Western Sunday Bests complete with stetsons.
    Most were polite, and listened to what we had to say.
    Some were downright belligerent & nasty.
    The leaders apologized for that behavior and publicly thanked us for "acting like Gentlemen".
    The Mounties took care of the worst of their lot, hustling them off for a little chat.

Stay calm & rational.
    Don't sink to their level if they get out of hand.
    Simply walk away from those that desire to confront and conflict.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

If they eat meat, it's easy. You prefer to source your meat from free range organic sources while having minimal impact on the environment. They do the same thing you do but pay someone else to kill for them.

If they are vegans and worried about climate change, I refer you to Quick Dick

Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!