Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Natives Sold Bear Bladders & Meat

Re: Natives Sold Bear Bladders & Meat

I think there is a perception that some poachers are being aquited of their crimes because their activities are deemed to be for cultural purposes. Hopefully in this instance the laws of the land will punish these individuals without predujice.
    Blacktailaholic

THE LAW IS THE LAW REGARDLESS OF SKIN OR RACE...DON'T YOU GET IT!!! I think this is the point some people don't believe Tikka7mm. There are different laws being applied across this country.
    I would argue that a first nation person charged with poaching will have a much better chance of getting off than I will plus I will have to pay my own legal fees. So your quote of the Law being the Law regardless of skin or race is admirable it is percieved that it is not always administered this way. Mike
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    THE LAW IS THE LAW REGARDLESS OF SKIN OR RACE...DON'T YOU GET IT!!! I think this is the point some people don't believe Tikka7mm. There are different laws being applied across this country.
    I would argue that a first nation person charged with poaching will have a much better chance of getting off than I will plus I will have to pay my own legal fees. So your quote of the Law being the Law regardless of skin or race is admirable it is percieved that it is not always administered this way. Mike
    Fair enough old timer. I can appreciate your point of view. Where my frustration lies is with people who generalize because they don't know. I don't like it either when I hear about First Nations Poaching and yes I too feel as though sometimes there are leniencies granted to FN's that shouldn't be. But you and I weren't around 100 years ago either when they amended the Indian Act. A lot of people don't even know what the Iindian Act is or when it was amended or who even amended it. We also weren't there when the Canadian gov't forcefully encouraged the assimilation of Aboriginal people into white society and allowed companies to expropriate reserve land for roads and railways etc. without any approval from FN's. FN's resistance meant denial of funds and any means to succeed so basically this meant complete FN's repression. I could go on and on. The common view is that FN's owe us something when in fact it is them who were here long before us. So yeah, they do deserve a break. Just because leniencies are granted to FN's doesn't mean that all FN's take advantage in fact some, not all, but some work harder. The sad thing is that FN's have only really had 3 generations to become assimilated. People don't realize that FN's way of life was 180 degrees different not too long ago. So yes Oldtimer I appreciate your opinion but I don't completley agree with it. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by Tikka7mm; 11-23-2007 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka7mm View Post
    Fair enough old timer. I can appreciate your point of view. Where my frustration lies is with people who generalize because they don't know. I don't like it either when I hear about First Nations Poaching and yes I too feel as though sometimes there are leniencies granted to FN's that shouldn't be. But you and I weren't around 100 years ago either when they amended the Indian Act. A lot of people don't even know what the Iindian Act is or when it was amended or who even amended it. We also weren't there when the Canadian gov't forcefully encouraged the assimilation of Aboriginal people into white society and allowed companies to expropriate reserve land for roads and railways etc. without any approval from FN's. FN's resistance meant denial of funds and any means to succeed so basically this meant complete FN's repression. I could go on and on. The common view is that FN's owe us something when in fact it is them who were here long before us. So yeah, they do deserve a break. Just because leniencies are granted to FN's doesn't mean that all FN's take advantage in fact some, not all, but some work harder. The sad thing is that FN's have only really had 3 generations to become assimilated. People don't realize that FN's way of life was 180 degrees different not too long ago. So yes Oldtimer I appreciate your opinion but I don't completley agree with it. Just my opinion.
    So heres a question...how long do we go about "making up for past mistakes"?

How long will it take to realize that making up for past mistakes is leaving them in the past?

As for painting them with a broad brush...that could easily have been a misinterperetation on many peoples parts. I am pretty sure we are all in agreement that there are many many many FN that are good people, i dont think anyone will dispute that. Them can easily point to the two or three individuals.
    Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left. ~Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by Browningmirage View Post
    So heres a question...how long do we go about "making up for past mistakes"?

How long will it take to realize that making up for past mistakes is leaving them in the past?

As for painting them with a broad brush...that could easily have been a misinterperetation on many peoples parts. I am pretty sure we are all in agreement that there are many many many FN that are good people, i dont think anyone will dispute that. Them can easily point to the two or three individuals.
    I think I'm going to let this one be. I agree with you Browningmirage to an extent. This is a vast subject that could be debated for a long time. There are many valid opinions on this topic most of which are based on personal experience. I'll just leave it at that.

Not everyone is going to agree all of the time...that's just the way she goes.

I say we all chip in and buy HIS gall bladder! I'm in for $5!!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    I say we all chip in and buy HIS gall bladder! I'm in for $5!!
    lol...sounds good to me. I'm in as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka7mm View Post
    I think I'm going to let this one be. I agree with you Browningmirage to an extent. This is a vast subject that could be debated for a long time. There are many valid opinions on this topic most of which are based on personal experience. I'll just leave it at that.

Not everyone is going to agree all of the time...that's just the way she goes.

Oh hell i understand that. This has been done several times before, people get banned pretty much every time because someone gets too revved up to think straight and start calling people some pretty interesting stuff.

My thoughts (back to original post) is that the guys that were caught should not have their native rights back (see, they violated them by selling wild game; conducted themselves in a unacceptable manner) to food fish and game. They (and speaking of these two individuals, and any other individuals who have been caught doing this, not painting the broad brush) have shown that they do not need fish and game for food, they would rather sell it. Why should they continue to be entitled to abuse the system?

I have a hard time dealing with the racism dealt out by the government. One group of people allowed to carry out their actions in a manner that is governed by a different set of rules based on their skin colour and background constitutes a racist policy...one that is unfair to all other peoples of Canada.
    I can deal with (not agree or accept or support) these racist rules as long as the people who take advantage of them do so in a legal manner. Once they have crossed that line however, i see no reason to give these individuals the opportunity to abuse the system again and again.
    Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left. ~Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by Browningmirage View Post
    My thoughts (back to original post) is that the guys that were caught should not have their native rights back (see, they violated them by selling wild game; conducted themselves in a unacceptable manner) to food fish and game. They (and speaking of these two individuals, and any other individuals who have been caught doing this, not painting the broad brush) have shown that they do not need fish and game for food, they would rather sell it. Why should they continue to be entitled to abuse the system?
    hmmm, sounds like a good idea to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    Let not turn this thread into a "race" issue please. Like was said, Poachers come in all types.
    This thread began as a Race issue purely by it's title.........
    "Natives Sold Bear Bladders & Meat"

Should have just said "Poachers Sold Bear Bladders & Meat"

It's a shame that there are always some that take advantage of any "special rights" given to them............Glad the Poachers were charged.