Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping Bag Advice

Sleeping Bag Advice

Hey all...

Looking to buy a new "mid cost" sleeping bag. I prefer a barrel bag, am looking for something that is comfort to 0C (I understand they use R values now, so maybe R2 or R3???). And is light enough to not kill me on a backpack, but I don't have the funds for ultra-light or down.

Suggestions?

Thanks

David

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sleeping Bag Advice

I still use a North Face Cats Meow. Not the lightest, but not bad. Works well and is cost effective. Used in on a backpack griz hunt and several backpack goat hunts. Spent nights down to -6 and have been pretty comfy ( don't skimp on the sleeping pad, I now use a Neo Air Xtherm).

I use a Kelty Cosmic Down bag rated to -20C. Been on a few hunts down to around -10C and been good so far. Very affordable bag. Not super light and compact, but not overly heavy or large either. I'm a fairly budget oriented guy and I'm happy with it.

R value is typically being used to rate the pads, I'venot personally seen it used in relation to bags. At 0 degrees I'd suggest being on something closer to R4 to R5. Best bang for buck bags are either a major name on sale or an MEC house brand or a TAIGA branded bag. The TAIGA bags are usually a steal for what you get, their shop is in Vancouver, but they do online sales.

I bought Wiggy’s Sleeping bags for the wife and myself. If I would have known about these to begin with I would have saved a lot of money buying sleeping bags that didn’t work as advertised. They were pricey but well worth the money. I realize you stated that your on a budget but I had to tell you.
    Was just on their website and all their sleeping bags are on sale until the end of the month. They have what you are looking for at a substantial savings that should take care of the dollar difference and shipping. Don’t be afraid to call them, you will talk to owner and he is more than willing to answer any questions you have.
    I learned the hard way that a good ground pad is key.
    They are out there,they look like us,they talk like us, but they ain’t us.

I've had a couple different Taiga bags that have served me very well.

If you’re looking for down, look at taiga works and don’t look back.

I use both WM and Taiga, the Taiga is on par with my WM (besides temp rating), at half the price, and built in BC.

I’ve bought two bags from the discontinued rack at atmosphere. You might have to ask where the sale rack is, because it’s not stuff that’s listed on their website, but they dump it cheap.

I didn't know Taiga was still around... thanks will look into that as it probably fits my price point.
    Will also check out atmosphere next time I'm at the mall.

Thanks

D

My wife bought me a lightish weight bag from Eureka that is rated to -7 and it’s been really awesome. I’ve used it down to -5 and have been toasty.