Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Spring Bear Help

Re: First Spring Bear Help

Thanks Ron.C I don't know how I missed that.

A group of us are heading up Pemberton way on a bear hunt this weekend.

PM me if you'd like to tag along. I'm leaving tomorrow.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Thanks Rob maybe next time as I have had some family stuff come up and will have to wait at least one more week before I get out.
    But thanks again for the offer

Quote Originally Posted by dru88 View Post
    Thanks Ron.C I don't know how I missed that.
    Sometimes when I don't think there's anything going on I just blow on a blade of grass erratically between my thumbs. It's always readily available in places spring bears hang out. I've had a couple bears come in within 20-30 minutes after the set. No idea if that actually had anything to do with them coming in. Neither came in hot, just feeding so perhaps coincidence. Sure cures bordom though.

Some guys on here report success with rabbit calls and bears coming in on a mission.

Starting out though, I'd hold off on the calling until you have found proven bear pockets with sign all over.

It's that time of year that in addition to nipped grass you should start seeing hit dandelions and fresh broken saplings with hair on them, fresh torn bark off stumps, etc.

hmm yes distressed rabit calls work...as do honey burns...

just heard momma black bear on Horsefly rd by Bells lk rd had 5 cubs..3 were on the side of the road dead..looks like a vehicle strike..good luck to the momma and 2 remaining cubs..
    srupp

Lots of snow. Lots of washouts. Don't wvwn bother with your spots above a few hundred meters down here in the LM it seems. Bloody spring is closer to winter down here! Grrrrrr.

How's the snow in 8-5? Is it also sticking more than last year or about same?

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Lots of snow. Lots of washouts. Don't wvwn bother with your spots above a few hundred meters down here in the LM it seems. Bloody spring is closer to winter down here! Grrrrrr.
    Tomorrow looks interesting. Freezing temps at low elevations again, up to 30-45mm of "rain" expected in the local weather reports. Could be anything from 2 feet of snow, to a mix of snow and rain. It looks like the bulk of it will come during the day, so a bit of snow, then a lot of rain, bit more snow then rain again. Might make for a few more washouts.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 05-17-2022 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dru88 View Post
    Thanks Rob maybe next time as I have had some family stuff come up and will have to wait at least one more week before I get out.
    But thanks again for the offer

No problem. If you keep trying to network somebody on here will eventually successfully fix you up.
    Rob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    hmm yes distressed rabit calls work...as do honey burns...

just heard momma black bear on Horsefly rd by Bells lk rd had 5 cubs..3 were on the side of the road dead..looks like a vehicle strike..good luck to the momma and 2 remaining cubs..
    srupp

I'd like to learn more about those. I tried them last weekend. One sow with a cub was very interested, another bear was not interested at all, and maybe decided to bail even faster because of it.

Last year, in very steep country, we saw three shooter bears at the same time, but the closest was 700 yds straight line, and way too far if you factor in the distance over ground - I didn't have a call then but boy oh boy did the idea seem attractive. If we could have gotten one of those bears to walk over to us it would have been awesome!
    Rob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post

How's the snow in 8-5? Is it also sticking more than last year or about same?

I don't know about 8-5, but around Pemberton the grass is green pretty high up this week, and noticeably higher than the week before. It's green *almost* to the top of the Hurley.
    Rob Chipman