Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Spring Bear Help

First Spring Bear Help

I am looking at getting out next weekend for a overnight bear hunt and try out my new MR Marshall pack. I have never tried my luck at spring bear so figured now is as good of a time as any. My question is where to go or at least what direction should I consider. I live in Delta and was hoping to take a half day friday and then get on my way. I have access to some property I can hunt up in-between Squamish and whistler but I am worried about the snow line the property is at 500m but climbs in a hurry. Or should I go towards chilliwack or hope.

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First Spring Bear Help

Seen a few come out of Chilliwack this year. I'd wager Squamish would be good, Pemberton even better. A lot of the stuff around Hope and just up the Coq a little is washed out / closed, but there's still some access if you look around up the canyon a little. Starting to see a lot of bear pics on the hiking forums from Harrison (east and west) so in short, pretty much anywhere is good.

It just takes some poking around to find some grass and dandelions away from the crowds. Once you find spots like that, check for patches of grass that are squared off like they were grazed with a weed whacker. If you find a spot like that, or better a few within a couple km's as the crow flies, just poke in and out of those places and good chance you'll see a bear.

Looking for the habitat, terrain, food etc is more important than which MU, because these pockets exist in every MU. 500-700M elevation is probably really productive right about now. South facing slopes and sun exposed flats.

Said it a bunch on here but worth a repeat... it's best to keep the eyeballs looking for and confirming sign to identify these pockets to start versus hiking or driving around hoping to spot a bear.

Have fun out there! Might try to get out on of these days too.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 05-08-2022 at 07:37 PM.

Pick a spot and have at it. Bears will be in most areas right now so you can't go too wrong. If you don't see any sign, move to another spot.

hmm no experience in the areas suggested.
    bears have been w/o food for months..look for the greens grass grows best in areas clear of trees..no good food under canopy of trees.
    think hard to get to end of a logging road..remote..they dont like to be disturbed from their mealSSSS...look for poop..either a bear or a liberal..
    first thing in AM..DARK 30 for grizzlies....10 am on for black bears..last hour for bigger bears last 15 minutes before dark for BIG bears.you should be needing a flashlight on the way home.
    most miss the best golden time to be successful.
    fence line..usually divides agricultural from crown..walk the fence line look for hair /trail into grass..you wont get a chance while on your couch.
    watch both wind or thermals..wont see a bear that smells you first.
    BIG tip...get remote bears along roads..get pushed out and back..cramps their eating style.
    so remote then open..watch wind/thermals..stay till dark..
    worked for me 45 plus years.
    cheers..straight shooting
    Srupp

Just don’t make the mistake of shooting a bear DOWNHILL from anywhere..’nice ‘ bears are on logging roads or uphil from logging roads ,the rest are ‘look at ‘ bears

Thanks guys. There happens to be a old deactivated road behind the property I have access to sounds like that might be a good spot to start looking.

hmm that deactivated rd..sun hits it first being no tree cover..sun removes snow..allows ground to heat allows grass to grow..= food attracts bears.....also bears are lazy use the line of least resistance..easiest.
    good luck
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    Just don’t make the mistake of shooting a bear DOWNHILL from anywhere..’nice ‘ bears are on logging roads or uphil from logging roads ,the rest are ‘look at ‘ bears
    Bonus if they roll down the hill and make for a shorter drag!

TBH it's not that bad unless one plans to drag it out whole, then good luck. Boning it out, taking 2 trips... walk in the park.

Anyone use electric predator calls for bear? As far as I can tell it's legal

Quote Originally Posted by dru88 View Post
    Anyone use electric predator calls for bear? As far as I can tell it's legal
    Illegal. Look at the "its unlawful to " section, page 15 para 39.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 05-12-2022 at 10:27 AM.