Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any News if there is going to be a open moose season in &B

Re: Any News if there is going to be a open moose season in &B

Quote Originally Posted by pro 111 View Post
    I am no expert on moose but it seams to me that the Tri Palm rule is a very affective way to keep moose populations Stable. Maybe just leave it open for locals the same and make it LEH for the outa region hunters?
    Even if tou go with a group of four and get one moose. You Still had a fun trip and Killed less moose.. Some kind of compromise to maintain sustainability.
    Sustainability of the moose population has never been the issue in 7b. It's better for the economy if ALL the tags are allocated to outfitters or to people from outside the area, they bring far more $$ in than locals that just shoot a moose off the back deck. The locals could still hunt deer and bears.

I am no expert on moose but it seams to me that the Tri Palm rule is a very affective way to keep moose populations Stable. Maybe just leave it open for locals the same and make it LEH for the outa region hunters?
    Even if tou go with a group of four and get one moose. You Still had a fun trip and Killed less moose.. Some kind of compromise to maintain sustainability.
    You should have stopped after your first sentence.

I agree that the SOFT-10 bull harvest strategy is an effective way to manage moose hunting. The province also shortened the any bull season during August which should also reduce harvest. However this idea of LEH for out of region hunters is ridiculous and divisive, you speak of compromise but what are you willing to give up? Wildlife in BC is for all British Columbians whether you live in downtown Vancouver or in the furthest corner of the province.

7B moose changes has nothing to do with moose population numbers
    sheesh

Quote Originally Posted by bullish View Post
    If they are so worried about the moose the biologists should have figured it by now that the rapidly growing grizzly population accounts for a big part of any so called decline. I've hunted the same area for 22 years in 7B and never saw a grizzly until the last 7 years. On last years hunt I saw 7. During that hunt I saw 9 cow moose and only one with a calf. Again a result of government BS laws.
    Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    We all know that the government isn’t going to make the needed changes. I hate to say this but, nothing is going to get any better, until we start doing what needs to needs to be done. It’s a moral/ethical line that I haven’t crossed yet but it’s getting harder and harder to watch the game populations decline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggdon View Post
    Improving habitat costs money

Reducing Industries effect on wildlife cost money

Predator reduction programs costs money

Taking away resident hunters right to hunt, free

Managing wildlife to zero, again free.

Which of these will the gov't go with.
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by jamfarm View Post
    You should have stopped after your first sentence.

I agree that the SOFT-10 bull harvest strategy is an effective way to manage moose hunting. The province also shortened the any bull season during August which should also reduce harvest. However this idea of LEH for out of region hunters is ridiculous and divisive, you speak of compromise but what are you willing to give up? Wildlife in BC is for all British Columbians whether you live in downtown Vancouver or in the furthest corner of the province.
    I live in region 6 so i guess i might be giving up my eligibility to buy a moose tag in region 7b. it could be very frustrating for someone who has lived in say Fort Nelson for 35 years to not be able to harvest a moose . And have the likes of me show up on the scene with an leh tag.
    but thats not the perfect solution. just an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by canishunter22-250 View Post
    Well at least the wait would be cut in half if the LEH was administered properly, not 'harvestable surplus X 0.5'

I agree it will be upsetting. I live in the bush half an hour northeast of FSJ. Prime moose habitat. I live a very 'live off the land' lifestyle to which hunting and trapping are central. All year there are moose browsing in my yard morning and night but I know that my area is going to be one hell of a longshot to get drawn in. So when I have an empty freezer and someone comes banging on my door and says "Hi, I'm Rick from Victoria, can I shoot the little bull moose in your back yard?" it's going to be tough to be gracious.

What if I showed up with some halibut as a symbol of my gratitude?
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

I live in region 6 so i guess i might be giving up my eligibility to buy a moose tag in region 7b. it could be very frustrating for someone who has lived in say Fort Nelson for 35 years to not be able to harvest a moose . And have the likes of me show up on the scene with an leh tag.
    but thats not the perfect solution. just an idea.
    I've said the same thing about me going further north. I live north of FSJ but I love going to Atlin for a moose hunt every couple years. With the open season up there I have no issues with it, but I'd feel pretty shitty if the poor schmucks who lived in Atlin couldn't get drawn but then I drop in from 1200 km away and shoot the moose out from under them with my LEH tag. I get that "we're all residents of BC.." but at the same time, I fully believe that the guy who scratches out a life in Atlin has more right to his local moose than I do as essentially a tourist to his back yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    What if I showed up with some halibut as a symbol of my gratitude?

It would be little consolation. How would you feel if you went to buy your tidal fishing license this year and they told you "Sorry, we all have to take turns and this year your license was given away to a guy who lives 1200km away in the Peace country who may or may not get around to making the trip down"

Quote Originally Posted by moosinaround View Post
    Well, if folks are gonna do that, they should refrain from posting it on a public forum?!! Just sayin!
    NOPE, they should post it boldly along with openly organizing group participation of the same.

They should inform the CO's of their intent, as well as ALL Media outlets to cover it.

Enough BS already, the resources belong to the people and that means ALL people equally.

Hiding in the closet and cowering down will get you more of the same!

Just my humble opinion though

This is the LEH system, we all live in areas where our hunter brothers from
    other parts of the province get the opportunity to hunt animals near our home a
    nd we can’t. Don’t start fighting amongst ourselves. Concentrate on the
    opposition, we have lots of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fosey View Post
    This is the LEH system, we all live in areas where our hunter brothers from
    other parts of the province get the opportunity to hunt animals near our home a
    nd we can’t. Don’t start fighting amongst ourselves. Concentrate on the
    opposition, we have lots of it.

Good post Fosey!!!